Jack:

I'm interested in the optimum CD fill with the least CD gap with the lowest KiXtart score. Granted, these conditions can be contradictory as you can lower your KiXGolf score by increasing the average gaps.

This also means that two approaches could result in different CD fills and different KiXGolf scores. In this case, the approach with the lower gap (as measured/displayed by the average gap) would win. If two approaches result in the same average gap, then the lower KiXGolf score wins.

This will actually only affect the outcome of the first part of the KiXGolf challenge. As the UDFs will be public for the second part you can still be able to further optimize somebody elses approach.

This way, we are still true to the goal of the KiXGolf Tournament, namely keep the keystrokes as low as possible.

BTW, the algorithm used to create the 'Gold Standard' for the optimized CDs is a combination of Monte-Carlo-Method and Limited Search. As far as I can tell this is actually the 'perfect' solution for the provided datasets.

The only constraint that I tried to create was the prohibition of the brute-force approach as I don't see that approach as programmatically challenging.