Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#86861 - 2002-07-17 08:17 PM Kixforms: Wish-list
Shawn Administrator Offline
Administrator

I'm putting together a personal wish-list for the next release of Kixforms, heres a few ideas (some are already implemented):

KIXFORMS 2.0 TODO LIST:

- Multi-Page Bitmap Support

- Enhanced default Focus handling.

- Add Icon property to Form and Button object

- Windows 9x support

- ActiveX Server (.exe) support

- Font property support (font,size,bold,...)

- Location,Size properties

- RGB replaced with n,n,n syntax

- Cloning controls (very neat, always wanted to include that one)

- A read/write combobox

- Listboxes and comboboxes that support columns

- MousePointer / MouseIcon properties

- A menubar, dockable that is

- Form tabs

- Flat buttons

- Support for transparency in graphics

- A nice drag and drop IDE to design forms [Wink]

[ 30 July 2002, 18:22: Message edited by: Shawn ]

#86862 - 2002-07-17 09:11 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Chris S. Offline
MM club member

Loc: Earth
Shawn, check out this thread ( Browse For Folder Using Shell32 ). I'll bet you can find this useful.
#86863 - 2002-07-17 09:51 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
mmm...
can't say what I want more that you can give me...
as example the focus thingie.

mmm...
the font passing... isn't it already working in the 1.0?
uttleast it uses parents fonts...

download KiXnet

#86864 - 2002-07-17 10:17 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
jtokach Offline
Seasoned Scripter

Loc: PA, USA
Shawn,

Oh, you did it now! I was waiting for this thread! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I ask no more than to be able to transfer my KixGUI scripts into KixForms without losing functionality. I looked into this a few months back, but there were enough things I could not transfer into KixForms to stop me. Is this still the case?

If not here's my wishlist:

KixGUI thingys
A read/write combobox
Listboxes and comboboxes that support columns
A menubar, dockable that is [Eek!]
Form tabs
Color options for everything
Flat buttons
Support for transparency in graphics
A nice drag and drop IDE to desgin forms [Razz]
Support for grouping (optionbuttons)
[Roll Eyes] A coupon redemable for 1 case of *good* Canadian beer with each download!!! I like Upper Canadian Lager. [Roll Eyes]

I'm suuuure you have enough free time to pull this off! [Big Grin] I could break down and learn VB though...

...the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

#86865 - 2002-07-17 10:35 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Chris S. Offline
MM club member

Loc: Earth
Jim, I think you forgot Progress Bars. [Wink] [Razz]
#86866 - 2002-07-17 10:37 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
KiX Master Guru

you have succestions alright...
some of them are I-need type...
don't need to much fancy (like color to everything)
but to make normal app look, we would need menus...
in the form and in the border...

how is your table-code doing shawn?

{edit}
about the progress bar...
it's easily doable with udf with even current kixforms build

[ 17 July 2002, 22:55: Message edited by: Lonkero ]

download KiXnet

#86867 - 2002-07-18 02:05 AM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Neil V Offline
Lurker

Please, please, please add Windows 95/98 support. I've tried various ways of adding a GUI to Kix scripts, but they have always let me down one way or another. I thought I had found a better way several months back with KixForms, but then I discovered the lack of Windows 9x support. It is nearly worthless to me without it.

Neil

#86868 - 2002-07-18 04:07 AM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Administrator

Guys, great to see feedback and ideas. Now we're talking - now were cooking with grease ... (or back-bacon, or something)...

Yeah, a control inherits it's font from it's parent. Which imho, for most applications, is a very desirable behavior. Set the font once on the form, and be done with it. The font get passed along from parent to child, like a gene [Wink] Forms that have too many fonts are generally recognised as a bad thing (I didn't say that, heard it somewhere)

Color options for everything. Kixforms supports color options for everything except the Button object.

Support for grouping (optionbuttons). Kixforms supports that.

Progressbar. Build 21 supports progressbars.

Windows 9x - Build 21

Fully functional ComboBox - Build 22

I modified the first post in thread to preserve all these ideas.

[ 18 July 2002, 04:14: Message edited by: Shawn ]

#86869 - 2002-07-18 02:04 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
rclarke Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Loc: Oxfordshire, United Kingdom.
How about being able to change the mouse pointer to an hourglass (or anything else for that matter) to indicate system activity or status. I am currently using KiXGUI for an application that automatically updates Anti-Virus software on remote workstations, the only problem is that I have to pop a 'System Busy' dialog and lock the parent form while the domain is enumerated, which isn't the best. I must admit it is more of a nice to have than a necessity, but you did ask and if implemented then I'm sure I will have to defect to Kixforms [Wink]

Oh, and how about updating the documentation so that we can all take advantage of the new features that you have already implemented. The current Word document still refers to features coming in Build 8! I know that documentation is a PITA to write, but it helps enormously.

Finally, many thanks for investing so much time in this product; the GUI libraries really add a whole new dimension to an already excellent language.

Rod.

#86870 - 2002-07-18 02:13 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
KiX Master Guru

mm...
documentation is something others can help doing, right shawn?

anyway, the pointer icon, that's something I missed some days ago, but didn't ask.
so I vote for it!

download KiXnet

#86871 - 2002-07-18 03:25 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Administrator

Updated list. Documentation needs work (I know) - going to create a "short-list" reference of all properties and moethods as well.
#86872 - 2002-07-18 04:32 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
jtokach Offline
Seasoned Scripter

Shawn,

I see you've been busy! I think the reason that I didn't go to KixForms back then was because of the documentation I was sfiting through... Anyhow, thanks for listening! You and my wife need to chat. [Smile]

Most of my requests are low priority and some even ridiculous, i.e. the IDE. But, hey, if you have the time... Have you considered openning the source to the community? (I think I remember a post on that discussion.) But really, you wouldn't even need open source for the IDE.

Thanks again Shawn! Your dedication is a great example to us all!

Edit: Hurray, I finally hit 100! [...as the crowd roars]

[ 18 July 2002, 16:40: Message edited by: jtokach ]

...the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

#86873 - 2002-07-18 04:52 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
KiX Master Guru

I have one wish.
give me some alpha!

currently build21 stops responding after 30-60 minutes run.

download KiXnet

#86874 - 2002-07-18 06:47 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Administrator

Jim, yes, I've been scrambling to get FORMS 22 out the door, certainly haven't been humping the freak'n laser - if thats what you mean [Wink]

Seriously, I've been around long enough to tell the difference between your serious and non-serious suggestions. It would be cool to think that at the end of the day, one could write their own FORMS GUI designer, using just FORMS and Kixtart itself (theoretically possible given a proper object model and toolset).

But I get a real thrill out of using these tools (KIXGUI and KIXFORMS) ... Alex did an amazing job with KIXGUI and creating FORMS has been pure joy for me as well. Think the thing is - they provide a departure from the routine stuff (writing login and admin scripts) ... give us a chance to push the boundaries a little and have some fun.

#86875 - 2002-07-18 08:22 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Bryce Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Houston TX
and thanks to you Shawn!!! I have gotten a number of "this is Kix???" type reply [Big Grin]

Bryce

#86876 - 2002-07-18 08:34 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
jtokach Offline
Seasoned Scripter

Eloquently stated my friend! The learning curve has been practically flatened to the point where just about anyone can pickup kix and one of the forms managers and create interactive gui programs in literally minutes! Hats off to you and Alex for breaking down some bariers.

Good news is that I see that I am not alone in my obsession! I was wondering whether anyone has established a 12 step program to date?

Here's a few snaps of my flagship. Tell me I don't have too much free time... [Smile]

While it's no earth shattering accomplishment, it really is fun and great way to break the monotiny.

Splash Screen

Primary Form

Dynamic Form Resizing

The Process Mgmt form

#86877 - 2002-07-18 08:42 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
KiX Master Guru

jim, wow.
can we get our hands on that?

download KiXnet

#86878 - 2002-07-18 09:01 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
Administrator

wow Jim, beautifull examples of where you can take these snapins. I can also see where most of your requested enhancements would come in handy (combobox,multi-column-listbox,option groups) ... as well, I can now see what you mean by flat buttons ... definitely get those in for upcoming builds (will add SpecialEffect property to Button object).
#86879 - 2002-07-18 10:28 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
jtokach Offline
Seasoned Scripter

Thanks!

Shawn, like I said, nothing I asked for is high priority. Rather than flat buttons, buttons that can contain graphics or rather graphics that can handle the onclick event would be nice, currently not available with KixGUI. However, I'm not complaining either. I'm as happy as a pig in sh** just being able to do this stuff. And again I apologize if KixForms has this ability and I'm just ignorant to the fact. Gotta re-read the manual. BTW, how up to date is the most recent manual? Can you provide the link yet again?

Lonkero, I still have to finish with some of the code. Like I have been waiting on the Remote Execution God to shine some light on us forever. [BTW, I found out for 100% certain that is indeed impossible to proxy out of any telnet like impersonation connection. Whether it be WMI or WSH. This from a guy who wrote one of those Programming Windows Security books. I'll update the Driving Me Insane post.] Also using Shawn's ADSI example for managing the services and the pause routine has been giving me some problems. And I have to incorporate process checking for the Netmeeting RDS service (exist? Paused? UnPause) so that launches correctly.

Fourtunatley, this will all be done by next Wed. so hang in there.

Good news is that all code is native to Kix, WMI and WSH. No external crap required, except I am going to add the option to use PSEXEC.EXE to overcome the telnet proxy issue.

The next thing that someone will have to explain is how I'm going to post this? I had a compiled installer version because it requires regisrty entries in LM and CU, shortcuts, 20+ images, and several scripts. Any ideas? Or if some has WWW/FTP hosting space for around 1.5MB that would rock.

#86880 - 2002-07-18 11:11 PM Re: Kixforms: Wish-list
KiX Master Guru

jim I have.
hosting this stuff is delight.

and about the space... well, currently only about 20G in two servers (other one at work and other home linked) so I think I can spare some 100M...

download KiXnet

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Shawn, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Jochen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, Allen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Allen) and 466 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.072 seconds in which 0.025 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org