Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#59563 - 2001-10-03 05:13 PM log to text file shutdown time?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi everyone, I'm trying to log errors(if possible) OR MORE IMPORTANTLYL the time when the 9X/NT/2000 machines successfully/unsuccessfully shutdown/log-off? Is there a way to log that on a text file using script or any other means? Thanks for the advice...
#59564 - 2001-10-03 05:58 PM Re: log to text file shutdown time?
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
2000 would be a breeze, NT... you could rip from the Event Log, but Wintendo... I think your dreaming.

Take a look at UPTIME from The RK. More on that at
http://kixtart.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002789

#59565 - 2001-10-04 10:49 AM Re: log to text file shutdown time?
Richard H. Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: Leatherhead, Surrey, UK
Win2000 is as Les says very simple - you can define a script to be run at machine startup and shutdown time, as well as log on and log off.

I increment a counter on a server share every time a Win2000 client starts up, then decrement it whenever it closes down. If the counter reaches a predefined limit it is reset and an email is sent to our support team with the startup/shutdown events. The support team then give the user a verbal slap - err no, I mean they offer the user additional training.

[ 04 October 2001: Message edited by: Richard Howarth ]

#59566 - 2001-10-04 05:10 PM Re: log to text file shutdown time?
Anonymous
Unregistered

how about if you use an smtp type of command that when shutdown is taking effect, a shutdown program will run and email the administrator. Would that work? If so, is there such programs that will do that on a mix environment? Examples?? Thanks for the responses...
#59567 - 2001-10-04 08:37 PM Re: log to text file shutdown time?
Les Offline
KiX Master

There's a commercial program called WhatsUp Gold from http://www.ipswitch.com that can do this sort of thing. I still wouldn't hold out hope for Wintendo. Actually, I haven't tried it on 9x so it's just a hunch.

It's a great program that can be used to monitor all sort of SNMP stuff (and more) and every IT dept should have something like this.

#59568 - 2001-10-10 06:08 PM Re: log to text file shutdown time?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well Ya wrong!!!

Windows 95/98 you can do it with...

what you need to do is disable the LOGGOFF and SHUTDOWN .. then create your own version of a SHUTDOWN & LOGOFF ICON and in there you direct it into a logoff script!!

Wanna know how??... get back to me.. I asked the board about this one.. and no-one could come up with the idea for 95...but I found it!! )

#59569 - 2001-10-10 06:10 PM Re: log to text file shutdown time?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well Ya wrong!!!

Windows 95/98 you can do it with...

what you need to do is disable the LOGGOFF and SHUTDOWN .. then create your own version of a SHUTDOWN & LOGOFF ICON and in there you direct it into a logoff script!!

Wanna know how??... get back to me.. I asked the board about this one.. and no-one could come up with the idea for 95...but I found it!! )

#59570 - 2001-10-10 06:44 PM Re: log to text file shutdown time?
Les Offline
KiX Master

Yeah, you're right. The irony is, I knew that trick but let my distaste for Wintendo get in the way.

Sorry.

#59571 - 2001-10-10 09:40 PM Re: log to text file shutdown time?
Anonymous
Unregistered

bonky will you please let us know how to do it, I'm curious

LL, Whats wintendo? Is that made by nintendo?

#59572 - 2001-10-10 09:50 PM Re: log to text file shutdown time?
Les Offline
KiX Master

Wintendo is a derogatory term for Windows 9x/ME as in game machine. If it's a laptop then it's considered a GameBoy.

#59573 - 2001-10-10 11:56 PM Re: log to text file shutdown time?
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
Not sure I remember your post Bonky... maybe I did reply, not sure, but....

Kluding or altering the internal workings of any system is almost always possible, but generally speaking, not something most Administrators want to do. This would then make the system a non-supported system by M$ (not that Win95 is supported anymore anyways). The point being though that yes, you can often modify the OS in obscure ways, but they can and often do bring there own issues and problems with them.

The question I would ask, is it really THAT important to know when a user logs off, to the point that your willing to possibly cause other issues or problems with the system or more maintenance issues. For your company it may be worth the risk, speaking for myself though I would not think so for our company.

There are literally thousands of hacks/fixes/patches that I may/may not use or try on my own local system, but surely would not try most of them on a Network of thousands of computers until I could verify that the change was more beneficial to me as an Administrator and to the user then leaving the system in its supported configuration by Microsoft.

#59574 - 2001-10-11 02:21 AM Re: log to text file shutdown time?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi ntdoc, the reason why I want to do this is because we have 3d modelers who run simulations under windows 95/98(unfortunately, they can't make the progrum run on NT kernel). It takes days for the simulation to finish and sometimes the OS crashes unexpectedly during the run process. I would just like to know if its possible to log the time and date(and if possible, the reason of the crash) when the computer was shutdown intentionally or accidentally.

I appreciate all your opinions because that sure does leads to unexpected answers.

#59575 - 2001-10-11 03:44 AM Re: log to text file shutdown time?
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
Hi JVD

Here is some information if your only wanting to log errors.

Windows 95 has an old version of DrWatson that you can use this article for more information.
How to Enable Fault Logging in Windows 95 http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q269/5/31.ASP

You might be able to copy the Windows 98 version of MSINFO over to a Windows 95 box and use it.. not sure, have not tried it. I have tried doing it with MS ME and it did not work.

SysInternals has a FREEWARE program called DebugView v4.13 which can also be used on almost all of the Windows platforms. On Windows 95 it requires the WinSock 2 update.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/wuadmintools/s_wunetworkingtools/w95sockets2/default.asp?site=95

DebugView v4.13 http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/debugview.shtml

One of these solutions may be a better fit for what your trying to accomplish.

[ 11 October 2001: Message edited by: NTDOC ]

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Glenn Barnas, NTDOC, Arend_, Jochen, Radimus, Allen, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (morganw, mole) and 414 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.06 seconds in which 0.021 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org