Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#214011 - 2021-08-19 07:28 PM @DOMAIN Variable modernise
Robdutoit Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: London, England
The @Domain variable returns the Netbios Name for the Domain. Netbios is still in use technically, but FQDN's are really the recommended way of doing things now.

I would like to request that the @domain kixtart variable be updated to return the FQDN.

Reasons

1. Netbios is technically obsolete and there are user cases where using Netbios Names would cause problems.

2. Domain UNC paths do not support Netbios Names (until the computer has fully booted). If you want to copy file from a server using the domainname\"path" you have to use domainname.internal\"filepath", not just domainname\"filepath". The Netbios path only seems to work once the computer is booted or possibly only in the userspace environment. It does not work in the startup script! DFS and Domain name paths are pretty much standard now as more and more domains operate across sites.

3. It is untidy to have to add + ".internal" to every @domain command although one could declare a variable that $DomainName = @Domain + ".internal".

4. The secondary problem with having to either add the ".internal" or declare a new domain variable is that while I setup my domains using .internal unfortunately a lot of people still setup the domain using .local so you have to take that into consideration when using one script for multiple clients. I would have to find a way to define which clients use .local and which ones use .internal.

5. The %UserDnsDomain% variable which does support FQDN's only works in the user login script, not in the startup script as environment variables only work in the userspace. I need the startup script equivalent.

Conclusion

For the above reasons, I would like to request that the @domain variable be updated to support FQDN to ensure compatibility with modern systems and features that only use FQDN's. Thank you.

#214019 - 2021-09-24 07:05 AM Re: @DOMAIN Variable modernise [Re: Robdutoit]
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
Thank you for the feedback. Not sure if Ruud is doing any more updates at this point or not though. The KiXtart community has died way down over the years
#214030 - 2021-10-27 12:25 PM Re: @DOMAIN Variable modernise [Re: NTDOC]
Robdutoit Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

I have fixed this by going with Arend's suggestion of getting the information that I need from the registry. So the productsuite, @domain variable (for whether I want netbios or FQDN domain) and determining if server is a DC or member server has been solved by using the registry to return the information.

So this is not as much of an issue as I thought. Probably is better to use information direct from the registry anyway so as not to be reliant on specific Kixtart version.

However, it would be nice if the syntax for adding a printer and deleting a printer was addressed in future to ensure consistency between the two commands. But again, not a huge issue as it does work.

#214031 - 2021-10-27 11:28 PM Re: @DOMAIN Variable modernise [Re: Robdutoit]
Allen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
I probably already gave you a link to this, but I put together a UDF that addresses the inconsistencies of the various printer functions. Might be worth a look if it really bothers you like it did me.

PrinterConnection() -
http://www.kixtart.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=203840#Post203840

#214032 - 2021-10-31 12:28 PM Re: @DOMAIN Variable modernise [Re: Allen]
Robdutoit Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

It doesn't bother me. It works and it's extremely rare that I need to move printers or delete them.

So it's not really something that needs to be fixed, but just a nice to have feature as it should be consistent. But I suspect that Kixtart won't be seeing any releases in the future. So not the end of the world.

#214107 - 2022-04-28 06:43 PM Re: @DOMAIN Variable modernise [Re: Robdutoit]
Ruud van Velsen Moderator Offline
Developer

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hi Rob, how about adding a new macro called something like "@DNSDOMAIN"?
#214112 - 2022-04-29 10:48 AM Re: @DOMAIN Variable modernise [Re: Ruud van Velsen]
Robdutoit Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Hi Ruud, that's exactly the suggestion I was thinking as this would avoid breaking existing code. @domain for Netbios and @dnsdomain for FQDN's. So yes that would be great. Thanks
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 259 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.057 seconds in which 0.024 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org