Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#212482 - 2017-05-05 10:01 AM Server side Excel automation replacement
green78 Offline
Fresh Scripter

Hi folks,

I have a KIX script running on a server using some automation in Excel. What I've read recently is that server-side automation is not a good idea for MS Office products (see the below article):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/257757/considerations-for-server-side-automation-of-office

One of the suggestions is to use the System.IO.Package.IO namespace in .NET Framework.

Could anyone please help on how to replace the below code with the above suggestion without initializing Excel application itself?

Code:
 $Excel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
 $WorkBook = $Excel.WorkBooks.Open("\\server\folder\EUR.xls")
 $WorkSheet = $WorkBook.Sheets.Item("EUR")
    $xlsValueEUR01 = $WorkSheet.Range("E3").Value
 $Excel.quit

#212483 - 2017-05-05 11:18 AM Re: Server side Excel automation replacement [Re: green78]
green78 Offline
Fresh Scripter

After reading a bit more I realized that this won't work for binary (XLS) files but only for Open XML (.xlsx) files. Wonder if it is at all possible to read data from XLS files without Excel application itself. I've seen some ADODB examples but can't figure out if I can get values in of single says with this method..
#212486 - 2017-05-05 03:43 PM Re: Server side Excel automation replacement [Re: green78]
Arend_ Moderator Offline
MM club member

Loc: Hilversum, The Netherlands
this should help you on your way:
 Code:
$adOpenStatic = 3
$adLockOptimistic = 3
$adCmdText = &0001

$objConnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
$objRecordSet = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

$objConnection.Open("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Scripts\Test.xls;Extended Properties='Excel 8.0';HDR=Yes;;")

$objRecordset.Open("Select * FROM [Sheet1$]", $objConnection, $adOpenStatic, $adLockOptimistic, $adCmdText)

While NOT $objRecordset.EOF
  ? $objRecordset.Fields.Item("Name"), $objRecordset.Fields.Item("Number")
  $objRecordset.MoveNext
Loop

#212532 - 2017-06-01 03:06 PM Re: Server side Excel automation replacement [Re: Arend_]
green78 Offline
Fresh Scripter

Thanks Arend_ but I can't make it work for some reason. Has anyone tried it? What I did was the following:

Create an XLS file named: C:\Scripts\Test.xls with "Sheet1" and the following values in cells in "Sheet1" A1 to B6 (in cells "A1" and "B1" respectively are the headers "Name" and "Number"

Name Number
John 1
Joe 2
Jane 3
Doe 2
Jack 1

Running the script that Arend_ provided I expected to see the output as displayed above but it displayed nothing...
Note sure if I'm doing something wrong or is there a glitch in the syntax?

Thanks!

#212533 - 2017-06-01 03:37 PM Re: Server side Excel automation replacement [Re: green78]
green78 Offline
Fresh Scripter

Ok, as usually it happens - the moment I posted the previous message I made it work. Had to change the code (changed "Jet" to "ACE" and moved the single quote after HDR=Yes' ). Something like this for my purpose would fit perfect - extract all cell values which are negative in a given worksheet in a given range:

Code:
$adOpenStatic = 3
$adLockOptimistic = 3
$adCmdText = &0001

$objConnection.Open("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\Temp\Merger.xls;Extended Properties='Excel 12.0;HDR=Yes'")

$objRecordset.Open("Select Number FROM [Sheet1$A1:B20] WHERE Number < 0", $objConnection, $adOpenStatic, $adLockOptimistic, $adCmdText)

? $objRecordset.Fields.Item("Number").Value
  $objRecordset.MoveNext
Loop

#212536 - 2017-06-02 12:06 PM Re: Server side Excel automation replacement [Re: green78]
green78 Offline
Fresh Scripter

Ok, to finalize the topic completely: When I uninstalled Office from the machine (because the idea is not to have MS Office installed on a server) my code above stopped working. So I dug a bit more and it turns out the original code that Arend_ provided works just with a small tweak - it looks like HDR is not supported for Office 97-2003 files, so I just removed it and the proper code to read such files from KIX should look like this:

Code:
$adOpenStatic = 3
$adLockOptimistic = 3
$adCmdText = &0001

$objConnection.Open("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\Scripts\Test.xls;Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;")

$objRecordset.Open("Select * FROM [Sheet1$]", $objConnection, $adOpenStatic, $adLockOptimistic, $adCmdText)

? $objRecordset.Fields.Item("Name")
  ? $objRecordset.Fields.Item("Number")
  $objRecordset.MoveNext
Loop

Edited by green78 (2017-06-02 12:09 PM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Shawn, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Jochen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, Allen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (morganw, mole) and 414 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.055 seconds in which 0.023 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org