Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#210720 - 2015-09-08 04:30 PM Re: KiXforms.org Web Site Closing Down [Re: Glenn Barnas]
Arend_ Moderator Offline
MM club member

Loc: Hilversum, The Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: Glenn Barnas
Wow - if you guys think that KixForms is just about forms, you're missing the boat! I can't tell you how many non-GUI apps that I have rely on the KF DLL for event-driven and timer-driven code. Not to mention so advanced math and communication capabilities...

I've got 5 different apps that use KF just for Socket communications.

Glenn

Well that's not true, the "Forms" is what 95% of the users actually use it for.
The rest of us used it for more, but those features were mostly undocumented.

Again, my reasoning still stands, new people are better off using PowerShell, it can do everything KixForms can and more, just slower ;\)

#210721 - 2015-09-08 07:26 PM Re: KiXforms.org Web Site Closing Down [Re: Arend_]
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
Ok. Just to get this out there, powershell is a joke.

And yes, once you fight a week, you can make it read a file and do other nice things. Until it no longer works and you spend a week trying to memorize why the syntax was so bad and how did you made it in the first place.

Powershell is the de facto example of how to not make a language.

download KiXnet

#210722 - 2015-09-08 07:30 PM Re: KiXforms.org Web Site Closing Down [Re: Lonkero]
KiX Master Guru

Then to kf, I don't remember the original but in kf.net Shawn didn't allow any commits if the documentation wasn't there. As a result, the documentation for kf.net IO (files, memory streams and sockets) should be better than kixtart documentation in general.

download KiXnet

#210723 - 2015-09-08 11:30 PM Re: KiXforms.org Web Site Closing Down [Re: Lonkero]
Allen Administrator Online   shocked
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
 Quote:

And yes, once you fight a week, you can make it read a file and do other nice things. Until it no longer works and you spend a week trying to memorize why the syntax was so bad and how did you made it in the first place.

Can I get an AMEN!

#210724 - 2015-09-09 12:26 AM Re: KiXforms.org Web Site Closing Down [Re: Allen]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
AMEN, Brotha! \:D

#210725 - 2015-09-09 01:05 AM Re: KiXforms.org Web Site Closing Down [Re: Glenn Barnas]
ShaneEP Moderator Offline
MM club member

Loc: Tulsa, OK
I agree with most points here. I still visit the kixforms site from time to time, as some of the undocumented features are discussed on the forums there (grid view for example). However, new posts are few and far between, and an entire site is probably not needed as long as the content is cached somewhere. I do think a kixforms section should be added to the forum here however. I myself have posted several kixforms related questions in the COM section here, knowing that it would at least get an audience. And Rod, thank you for your continuing efforts. I still use kixforms to this day, which wouldn't have been possible without people like you.
#210726 - 2015-09-09 01:43 AM Re: KiXforms.org Web Site Closing Down [Re: ShaneEP]
It_took_my_meds Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I'll weigh in on the Powershell discussion. It's good in the fact you can access the .Net framework (which is something I would dearly love Ruud to add to KiXtart), but it's variable scoping is beyond retarded. Something that also bugs me is that you cannot call a function until the function code has been read by the interpreter. That means you have to have all your functions at the top of the script and your main code at the bottom. It might be trivial to some, but I find it annoying. The syntax is also horrible, so AMEN!

Cheers,

Richard

#210727 - 2015-09-09 01:48 AM Re: KiXforms.org Web Site Closing Down [Re: It_took_my_meds]
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
New Kixforms forum created here. When,where, how much is added here is up for continued discussion. As most others have said already - Thank you again Rod for all the time, money and effort provided for hosting and supporting the Kixforms website and forums for so long. Greatly appreciated.

Kixforms
http://www.kixtart.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=15&page=1

#210728 - 2015-09-09 09:23 AM Re: KiXforms.org Web Site Closing Down [Re: NTDOC]
Mart Moderator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: The Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: NTDOC
New Kixforms forum created here. When,where, how much is added here is up for continued discussion.

Kixforms
http://www.kixtart.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=15&page=1

Thanks Doc.

- Chuck Norris once sold ebay to ebay on ebay.

#210732 - 2015-09-10 02:36 AM Re: KiXforms.org Web Site Closing Down [Re: Mart]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
Thanks Doc!

#210734 - 2015-09-11 03:03 AM Re: KiXforms.org Web Site Closing Down [Re: Glenn Barnas]
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
NP, thank you guys. Now let's put some stuff in there :-)
#210735 - 2015-09-11 03:23 AM Re: KiXforms.org Web Site Closing Down [Re: NTDOC]
It_took_my_meds Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

The thing is I don't think there will be many posts there. Discussion in the KiXforms forums came to a halt once Shawn stopped being active. I'll futilely say it once again (and I know I'm sounding like a broken record) but posting a link to the source code repository would be really nice. Shawn (or someone else he trusts and respects like Lonk) could then accept proposed commits if they wish (in order to ensure code quality).

Then stand back in awe as features are added and the discussion takes off on the new forum you've created. People wouldn't even need to commit code they could also help with documentation like adding Gridview properties, methods, and events in classic. Long live KiXforms!

Regards,

Richard

#210736 - 2015-09-11 03:37 AM Re: KiXforms.org Web Site Closing Down [Re: It_took_my_meds]
It_took_my_meds Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

I'll also add it could put some new life into KiXtart.org and KiXtart in general.
#210737 - 2015-09-11 12:32 PM Re: KiXforms.org Web Site Closing Down [Re: It_took_my_meds]
KiX Master Guru

Oh. I thought it was a new website design that did that trick ;\)

download KiXnet

#213677 - 2019-04-29 08:31 PM Re: KiXforms.org Web Site Closing Down [Re: Allen]
Björn Offline
Korg Regular

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden.
 Originally Posted By: Allen
 Quote:

Can I get an AMEN!

Amen!

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Shawn, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Jochen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, Allen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Allen) and 466 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.173 seconds in which 0.131 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org