Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#206681 - 2013-02-12 12:18 AM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Allen]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
what, me worry?

I was half-expecting you to volunteer to assist in the VoIP troubleshooting! \:D

#206682 - 2013-02-12 01:52 AM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Glenn Barnas]
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
glenn/allen, I'm so used to running all the installs in startup scripts that UAC hasn't got to bug with anything else but manually checking afterwards that everything went fine.

pushing stuff with GPO's and MSI's without some scripting is too complex, slow and usually non-working. for example flash player usually fails to upgrade and more than every other update requires registry cleanup...

download KiXnet

#206683 - 2013-02-12 02:17 AM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Lonkero]
Allen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
I've been considering a hybrid startup script/logon script. I don't know why, but I've always been tentative to use startup scripts. So startup scripts do not prompt the UAC when running a silent installer?
#206684 - 2013-02-12 12:45 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Allen]
KiX Supporter

I agree - GPO/MSI is complex, especially when you have a simple command-line that can be executed with a bat file that always runs reliably. That's why I built the tool to copy an install script to the PC and execute it with admin credentials. The tool can be used to respond to detections during a login script or even from a web-based self-service portal.

Glenn

#206686 - 2013-02-13 04:10 AM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Glenn Barnas]
KiX Master Guru

Allen, startup scripts are ran before logon screen is presented and ran by localsystem/computer account, so no UAC. and by default they are hidden, so your user sees a "running startup scripts" screen just before ctrl-alt-del and right after "preparing network connections" or something like that.

download KiXnet

#206727 - 2013-02-19 03:43 AM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Lonkero]
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
I don't like GPO and only use it when it's absolutely necessary but I know some Admins that have hundreds of them and just glad I'm not on their slow network.

Doing GPO for an install is not going to happen by me unless forced to by upper management and using another method is going to be my first choice.

I don't care for Startup scripts either but once in a while they do serve a purpose.

#206729 - 2013-02-19 11:05 AM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Lonkero]
Arend_ Moderator Offline
MM club member

Loc: Hilversum, The Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: Lonkero
glenn/allen, I'm so used to running all the installs in startup scripts that UAC hasn't got to bug with anything else but manually checking afterwards that everything went fine.

pushing stuff with GPO's and MSI's without some scripting is too complex, slow and usually non-working. for example flash player usually fails to upgrade and more than every other update requires registry cleanup...

Seriously?
I have a Topic running here for the latest MSI version of Flash Player.
Since Flash player updates almost bi-weekly, and I push it through GPO.
Sorry but deploying can NOT be any simpler.
Open GPO, Select Software, rightclick add MSI, press OK and done.
Next time the computers start up they get the software.
Flash Player always updates the previous one, deploying over 500 Computers here, no problem whatsoever.

#206733 - 2013-02-19 07:40 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Arend_]
Robdutoit Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: London, England
I agree with Arend (to a point). I recently deployed some images of Windows 7 for a client and I discovered that the flash player version installed at the time of the image creation caused some websites to fail in Internet explorer. so I did a quick and dirty GPO software installation of flash player to update to the latest version.

Yes, I know most of you will probably be in shock as I have said more than once, that I don't like gpo's but it was handy for that.

The one major failing of software installation via gpo is there is no way to determine whether every computer has received the update and applied it. As such, I will not be using software installation to update flash etc, as I like to know that the update was successful.

I would personally recommend a program that can maintain a list of software on all the computers and controls windows updates and software rollouts. Group policy software installation is far too basic. Useful in an emergency, but otherwise useless.

#206734 - 2013-02-19 08:07 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Robdutoit]
KiX Supporter

I'm shocked! \:D

#206735 - 2013-02-19 08:11 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Glenn Barnas]
KiX Supporter

Actually, I'd consider GPO based installs a bit more often if I didn't need to create an MSI. Some places won't allow freeware yet won't purchase the tools to create MSIs, and yet want it all in-house. Decision, please?

So many things can be installed and customized with a simple bat file.. that's why I created the admin-deploy service we've been talking about. When triggered by tests during user logon, it can push out and then execute a bat file using any credentials, which then can do anything it needs.

Glenn

PS - shocked, but not appalled. ;\)

#206736 - 2013-02-19 08:13 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Glenn Barnas]
Robdutoit Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: London, England
it was an emergency lol.
#206985 - 2013-03-27 09:19 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: NTDOC]
KiX Supporter

So I've been carrying on with Windows 8 by installing the Start 8 menu for every new computer I set up. It completely avoided the training that was necessary to get new users up and running. Today, however I got a call that I'm surprised did not happen sooner. Windows 8 by default changes the associations of a number of extensions to use the Metro/Modern apps, rather than the desktop apps. Most notably mailto points to the Mail app rather than Outlook, all the Picture types no longer point to the MS Picture Viewer, and all the media types no longer point to Windows Media Player. My client was like "Everytime I open a picture I can't close it, I can't rotate it, I can only use the task manager to shut it down. Also every time I try to click on an email it wants me to create an account, rather than opening it in Outlook." MS really should be shot for doing this crap on the desktop.

Anyhow... I was looking at the Associate UDF, but I'm not exactly clear on how I would use it. Specifically I need an example to modify the association for mailto to point to Outlook, and maybe one example to change the association for bmp files to use the Windows Photo Viewer.

#206988 - 2013-03-27 11:03 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Allen]
KiX Supporter

This might need an update for Windows 8. Not that it doesn't work (I call it at least a dozen times when I run my workstation build process) but it may not set/delete the new
Metro interface. Apparently, the DELETE option is CRITICAL!! \:\) So - Microsoft really thought we needed a new app to put a picture on the screen?

The general form of Associate is Extension, Identifier, Description, App to Open, App to Edit.
 Code:
$Open = '%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen %1'
Associate('.jpg', 'jpegfile', 'JPEG Image', $Open, 'mspaint.exe %1')
should work. DO NOT change the extension or short-name as these are already defined in Win-8. You'll want to modify the current settings. Also, since the command now includes a comma AND quotes, you'll need to use the $Open to insure that the quotes and comma are treated as a single parameter. You don't need the last arg if you don't want a Right-Click/Edit option, or you can set it to some other editor.

You can find this info in the registry.. in this example, search HK_Classes_Root for the extension. In the OpenWithProgids key, find the REG_SZ string (will be empty!) - this is the name of the key to locate in the same hive. It's "jpegfile" in this case. Expand "jpegfile", then "shell", then "open" and find "command". The default value contains the executable command to launch the associated app. If you defined an Edit association, then an "Edit" section similar to "open" will exist.

Please grab the latest UDF version from my web site. Let me know how this works for you.

Glenn

#206989 - 2013-03-27 11:11 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Glenn Barnas]
KiX Supporter

You might want to look at my Customize tool.. it uses K-Install to customize a server or workstation during initial deployment. INI-based, once you create the ini, it can define registry settings, file associations, copy (overwrite or update) files, run apps, and a ton of other common installation tasks. I can point you to the package for K-Install via PM. Readme and full user guide in the package. I use it for unattended server installs from a common SysPrep image.

Glenn

#207049 - 2013-04-03 11:45 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Glenn Barnas]
KiX Supporter

Thanks Glenn... checking this out now.
#207051 - 2013-04-04 12:33 AM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Allen]
KiX Supporter

I guess I am being dense or maybe Windows 8 is doing something to really confuse me....

Just as you described there is a .jpg key in the registry and it's OpenWithProgIDs points to jpegfile. What's confusing is, when I look at the jpegfile it already has the exact value you provided with the $open command. However, when I go to Control Panel and Set Associations, .jpg is associated with "Photos" (the Metro/Modern App). When I change it in the GUI, it then says "Windows Photo Viewer", however the value in jpegfile registry setting remains exactly the same.

Any ideas?

#207055 - 2013-04-04 03:09 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Allen]
KiX Master Guru

do you have openwithprogids under hkcr\.jpg?

download KiXnet

#207061 - 2013-04-05 07:00 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Lonkero]
KiX Supporter

I haven't had a lot of time to dig into this, but I did find another association script/post that worked fine with Win 7, but no longer works with Win 8. This may end up being a complete redo.

http://superuser.com/questions/419163/po...y-employing-fty

#207062 - 2013-04-05 08:27 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Allen]
ShaneEP Moderator Offline
MM club member

Loc: Tulsa, OK
Maybe just go through the Default Programs via control panel, taking a regshot before and after...see if anything looks different than expected.
#207063 - 2013-04-05 08:37 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: ShaneEP]
ShaneEP Moderator Offline
MM club member

Loc: Tulsa, OK
Here's an interesting read...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mrmlcgn/archi...o-protocol.aspx

Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  Arend_, Allen, Jochen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 248 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.078 seconds in which 0.031 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org