Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#196982 - 2009-12-03 06:43 PM Re: another project any guidance would be appreciated [Re: Allen]
itdaddy Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Loc: Wisconsin
very funny! hahahaahahha I have that affect/effect on people
sorry but I do appreciate your expert guidance you all.

you dudes rock!
Credit Union Wisconsin

#196994 - 2009-12-04 09:25 PM Final version of ini update domain-wide! [Re: itdaddy]
itdaddy Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Thanks you experts! I was able to make this work!
Thank you. Here is the program in its completion.
I am able to update 150 Pcs within seconds. Fantastic.
That is what scripting is all about! Speed and efficiency!
-Thank you

-Robert

Code:
;********************************
;  Update FSP.ini Domain-wide

Break on

Dim $PClist
Dim $array

$PClist = "ftran1", "ftran2", "ftran3"

for each $Element in $PClist

? $Element

$Rc = WriteProfileString('\\$Element\C$\WINDOWS\fsp.ini', 'Ubs', 'PCAlias', LCase($Element) ) 
 If @error <> 0  ? "Updated (pcAlias) successful" endif
 $Rc = WriteProfileString('\\$Element\C$\WINDOWS\fsp.ini', 'Ubs', 'PortNumber','9600' )  
 if @error <> 0 ? "Updated (PortNumber) successful" endif
 $Rc = WriteProfileString('\\$Element\C$\WINDOWS\fsp.ini', 'Ubs', 'HostName', '192.168.1.94' ) 
 if @error <> 0 ? "Updated (Hostname) successful" endif
 $Rc = WriteProfileString('\\$Element\C$\WINDOWS\fsp.ini', 'Ubs', 'SessionName', 'Original Session' ) 
 if @error <> 0 ? "Updated (Session Name) successful" endif

shell "notepad.exe \\$Element\C$\WINDOWS\fsp.ini "

sleep 2

next
;  End of Update FSP.ini

Credit Union Wisconsin

#197031 - 2009-12-09 12:52 AM Glenn I need your help [Re: itdaddy]
itdaddy Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Hello Glenn

I need to know why doing the shell or comspec command line is not
exactly like a locally run CLI? or say I use PSTOOLS psexec command
these claim to run a CLI shell dont they, but isnt really a true shell is it? I mean I have this problem running a msi remotely using psexec
and I can run many other msi installer files with the comspec/shell command
in kix but I can run the msi locally thru the CLI on that machine as admin of that machine and it runs fine but when I run the same command using psexec and msiexec /switches type command it doesnt scope correctly.

My ramblings is my lack of terms to use for you to help me understand but
I am grasping at the words scope you know path reference. running programs locally from the cli is to me a diferent scope reference that running thing remotely and scope is a very important issue when dealing with programs and installing them remotely. how can I get the same scope installing things remotely as I would running the same file and same commands locally on the machine thru the local CLI. I just dont understand how I can mimic the pure CLI environment and scope but do it remotely?
did I make sense or give you a big headache.?

I just wish I had a greater understanding of why I cant get the same scope remotely as I have with local CLI programs and command line?

thanks

~Robert
Credit Union Wisconsin

#197032 - 2009-12-09 02:38 AM Re: Glenn I need your help [Re: itdaddy]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
PSexec isn't exactly the same on a couple of points.. unless you provide user credentials to start PSexec, it runs in the System context. There are some limitations, most notably the inability to use network resources. The environment can also be different - run psexec to connect to a remote system and simply type SET > C:\P_ENV.TXT. Then log into the same system and run SET > L_ENV.TXT. Compare the two files - they may be different, and may hold a clue to why some things work differently.

I'll keep this simple - if you want to install an MSI package remotely, use the task scheduler. I use it all the time, and my SWDIST product can push software installs to hundreds of systems using this method, and with a high degree of success. I can control exactly when it is installed, and which user account performs the install, and have full network access.

I'm working on a new product that will provide the ability to trigger a local event from a remote server via login or other non-admin method. In short, a user can log in, the login script can detect that something needs to be done (with admin rights), and a request is placed on a server. Within seconds, that server delivers instructions (usually a batch file), defines an event, and triggers the event to run immediately. The process runs with whatever credentials the admin wants, and usually starts before the login script even completes.

If you can wait, the initial release should be available in early to mid January. If you need instant gratification, look at the tcLib package for a library of task control functions, or tsAdm for a GUI tool that can push and trigger task events to one or many systems. tsAdm uses the tcLib package, and has a "blast" mode that can push a task to any number of systems. You can even interactively trigger the event to "run right now".

Glenn

#197045 - 2009-12-09 03:56 PM Re: Glenn I need your help [Re: Glenn Barnas]
itdaddy Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Ah glenn thank you. when you mention the trick with the environmental varaibles ahhhh that might be it.you are a genius and yes I have used your
tclib before fantastic stuff you have..looking forward to seeing you product..let me know when you get it it..you are selling it arnt you?
my boss may buy it if he likes it;)
-robert
Credit Union Wisconsin

#197046 - 2009-12-09 04:03 PM Re: Glenn I need your help [Re: Glenn Barnas]
itdaddy Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Glenn I did your trick of checking env variables is that true?
of course running on the PC i got all its env variables? but running with
psexec I got NO env variables is that true? did I do it right?

well then that is the case huh? no wondering many people use client server apps some how it is impossible to replicated a true CLI remotely huh?

get i set them the certain env variable the program needs then execute the program if need be???? again, can i set the env variable on the fly before i execute the program or do they even stick since maybe the session close withe each psexec command???

what you think?

Edited by itdaddy (2009-12-09 04:04 PM)
Credit Union Wisconsin

#197069 - 2009-12-10 08:26 PM Re: Glenn I need your help [Re: itdaddy]
itdaddy Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Glenn
I wouldnt answer me anyway I will figure it out. thank you
for you fast reply....I know sometimes us young pups needto figure things out by self.

thank you for your time ;\)
bottome line is their msi use to work they have to fix the scope
oftheir program then it will work is my conclusion ;\)
thank you
Credit Union Wisconsin

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Allen) and 382 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.06 seconds in which 0.023 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org