Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#138852 - 2005-04-29 02:32 AM Company Policy Text at login
EDMM Offline
Fresh Scripter

I am sorry if this script question exists else where:
I use a very simple kixtart script to map user network drives in both NT 4 and win2k environment. I would like kixtart to call a policy text file - (the file talks about use of e-mail, PCs, etc..). A user would choose to agree or to disagree with the company policy. If they choose to disagree, the script would terminate and log them out.

#138853 - 2005-04-29 02:50 AM Re: Company Policy Text at login
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
You are right. This has been discussed often. Is there something unique about your situation that these many discussions did not cover?

#138854 - 2005-04-29 02:48 PM Re: Company Policy Text at login
Kdyer Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Tigard, OR
We have used both versions from KiX and GPO and have stayed with the one in GPO as an FYI..

Kent

#138855 - 2005-04-29 08:18 PM Re: Company Policy Text at login
EDMM Offline
Fresh Scripter

I was unable to find one. The Policy disclaimer is about 500 words!

Thanks for your help

#138856 - 2005-04-30 11:06 PM Re: Company Policy Text at login
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
So, you have them agree with that policy every time they're logging in? How do you know they read that stuff, especially if you change it? 500 words is beyond the capabilities of messageboxes, tus you'd have to use KiXforms or Internet Explorer to display the policy.

However, I'd rather have the HR department sign physical copies of the policy instead of displaying it. Much better documentation and better auditable.

#138857 - 2005-05-01 11:56 AM Re: Company Policy Text at login
Mart Moderator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: The Netherlands
Agree.
500+ words is way too much to read at logon. Our users would loose interest and start complaining after about 30 or 40 words
We (the network crew, CEO, H&R and chosen representatives of our employees) set up a default IT policy that covers e-mail, internet, data storage, etc... Every current employee at that time received a copy by mail and had to read it and sign it if they agree to it. If not there would be a meeting with the employee to see what the problem was. All new employees get it when the get a contract.

But.....
If you really must display it IE or kixforms would be the way to go.

- Chuck Norris once sold ebay to ebay on ebay.

#138858 - 2005-05-01 02:25 PM Re: Company Policy Text at login
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Out new Sarbanes-Oxley-compliant information security policy is a total of 46 pages long

It contains a couple of "gems" like disallowing the download of executables from the web. Now, as part of my job function, I have to visit JAVA-enabled websites that could potentially trigger the download of an updated JVM. Also, it contains this statement:
Quote:

Management must obtain a written integrity statement from the involved vendor that provides assurances that the software does not contain undocumented features, does not contain hidden mechanisms that could be used to compromise the software’s security, and will not require the modification or abandonment of controls found in the affected operating system

I'm no lawyer, but how would a bug have to be classified that potentially enables somebody to gain control of your computer remotely? Also, has anybody the number of undocumented features (e.g. API calls) on hand that are part of Microsoft Windows?

#138859 - 2005-05-01 09:02 PM Re: Company Policy Text at login
Mart Moderator Offline
KiX Supporter

Quote:

It contains a couple of "gems" like disallowing the download of executables from the web.

So you can't even download new kix versions from korg or patches that cure bugs, oops no bugs allowed in the programs in use so no need to get updates to fix them LOL

46 pages?? Makes quality paper

Edited by R2D2 (2005-05-01 09:03 PM)

#138860 - 2005-05-01 09:10 PM Re: Company Policy Text at login
Mart Moderator Offline
KiX Supporter

EDMM,

Hope you find one of the suggestions given of any use.
Like said before 500+ words is very annoying to read at logon. A kix form or webpage could do but still very annoying.
A written and signed version of it at H&R in the employees file and a link of some sort in your logon script to an intranet page stating the full policy would be much friendlier for the users.

Hope this is of some use to you. Besides the posts that go a little off topic some useable advice is given IMHO.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 329 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
gespanntleuchten, DaveatAdvanced, Paulo_Alves, UsTaaa, xxJJxx
17864 Registered Users

Generated in 0.065 seconds in which 0.027 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org