ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-02 06:54 PM
U.S. Election ...

hmmm, pretty quite around Korg today, must be that all our American members have cut-out early today to vote ? ... If anybody wants to take a stab at predicting the outcome, be my quest ...

My guess is ... Bush (after a bazillion re-counts) ;0)

Radimus
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-02 07:20 PM
Re: U.S. Election ...

I voted this morning already.

I don't want to bet, as I haven't ever gotten a football game right and I wouldn't want to jinx my 'team'.

I can only hope there is enough of a one sided victory that the lawyers will not be able to make a case out of it... and that there would be a gracious loser and concede the point. (Instead of the last loser and all the crap he instigated)

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2004-11-02 07:24 PM

But then where else would we spend all our MILLIONS of dollars in the Court System

Co
(MM club member)
2004-11-02 07:26 PM

I don't want to bet either... Freedom of speech is killed today... again

Dutch Michael Moore is killed this morning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/news_web/video/40482000/nb/40482977_nb_16x9.asx

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3975211.stm

2,5 years ago politician Pim Fortuyn was killed for the same reason... his Freedom to speech

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1972932.stm

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-02 07:29 PM

Wow ... someone was real pissed at him ... stabbed and shot dead.

Co
(MM club member)
2004-11-02 07:45 PM

There is a lower tolerance in our country since 9-11 and the war in Irak.

Did you know there are 911 days between the killing of Pim Fortuyn and Theo van Gogh...

Co
(MM club member)
2004-11-03 09:53 PM

Did you know the number for emergency calls in the US = 911
Did you know the number for emergency calls in the Netherlands and some other European countries = 112

Theo van Gogh died at the 2nd of november.... (Election day)

Co
(MM club member)
2004-11-04 11:41 PM

FYI,

'Islamist' held in Van Gogh case
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3978787.stm#

Dutch fear loss of tolerance
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3980371.stm

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-05 01:52 AM

And get this ... 911 backwards is 119 ... and 112 backwards is 211 ...

119 + 211 = 330 ...

3/30 = March 30th ...

March 30th, 1987 - Vincent van Gogh’s "Sunflowers" brought $39.85 million -- more than triple the record for an auctioned painting. The sale was on the 134th anniversary of the birth of the artist...

Coincidence ? ;0)

Co
(MM club member)
2004-11-05 06:16 AM

Hmmm....

Letter threat to Dutch politician
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3984469.stm

Dutch pledge Islamist crackdown
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3987547.stm

European Debate of Islam Heats Up
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/international/AP-Europes-Islamic-Challenge.html?pagewanted=2

AzzerShaw
(Seasoned Scripter)
2004-11-05 01:07 PM

Shawn, i think thats the best avatar you have done yet.... LOLOLOL

Any chance of your top ten Avatars?

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-05 05:40 PM

Thanks AzzerShaw, I love your avatar too. Have many times tried to figure-out what that yellow "thing" is your holding, tried downloading and zooming in but can't get handle it, what is that ?

AzzerShaw
(Seasoned Scripter)
2004-11-05 05:43 PM

Thats not actually me but i love the photo, i think it is glass of champagne.....at least i think it is

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-05 05:44 PM

ahhh, of course ... its obvious now, can see the faint outline of the class and everything ... cheers!

Chris S.
(MM club member)
2004-11-05 05:50 PM

Quote:

ahhh, of course ... its obvious now, can see the faint outline of the class and everything ... cheers!

AzzerShaw has no class, it is a glass.

AzzerShaw
(Seasoned Scripter)
2004-11-05 05:50 PM

No probs, time for a change though

AzzerShaw
(Seasoned Scripter)
2004-11-05 05:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

AzzerShaw has no class, it is a glass.

Well technically its a flute but im not peadantic

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-05 05:59 PM

rofl, cheer's back at you !

AzzerShaw
(Seasoned Scripter)
2004-11-05 06:02 PM

lololol...im on the floor now lol

Radimus
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-05 06:20 PM

check out this OPED from MSN. it is kind of leftist, but I found it so humorous I couldn't pass it by.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2109217/

Please do not be offended brits, but they did volunteer for it

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-05 06:31 PM

btw, our Prime Minister up here, Paul Martin, said this morning that all you Americans that want to immigrate to Canada are quite welcome. Just can't claim refugee status thats all (lol).

Les
(KiX Master)
2004-11-05 07:07 PM

Hmm...
Shawn, if you lost the beard but kept the moustache and if your hat was a little tattered, you could be mistook for Jed Clampett.

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-05 07:09 PM

roflmao

Radimus
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-05 09:28 PM

just make sure the Hollywood types get priority... sure hate to see them go

Quote:

Americans Flock to Canada's Immigration Web Site

OTTAWA (Reuters) - The number of U.S. citizens visiting Canada's main immigration Web site has shot up six-fold as Americans flirt with the idea of abandoning their homeland after President Bush's election win this week.

"When we looked at the first day after the election, Nov. 3, our Web site hit a new high, almost double the previous record high," immigration ministry spokeswoman Maria Iadinardi said on Friday.

On an average day some 20,000 people in the United States log onto the Web site, www.cic.gc.ca -- a figure which rocketed to 115,016 on Wednesday. The number of U.S. visits settled down to 65,803 on Thursday, still well above the norm.

Bush's victory sparked speculation that disconsolate Democrats and others might decide to start a new life in Canada, a land that tilts more to the left than the United States.

Would-be immigrants to Canada can apply to become permanent resident, a process that often takes a year. The other main way to move north on a long-term basis is to find a job, which requires a work permit.

But please spare the sob stories.

Asked whether an applicant would be looked upon more sympathetically if they claimed to be a sad Democrat seeking to escape four more years of Bush, Iadinardi replied: "There would be no weight given to statements of feelings."

Canada is one of the few major nations with an large-scale immigration policy. Ottawa is seeking to attract between 220,000 and 240,000 newcomers next year.

"Let's face it, we have a population of a little over 32 million and we definitely need permanent residents to come to Canada," said Iadinardi. "If we could meet (the 2005) target and go above it, the more the merrier."

But right now it is too early to say whether the increased interest will result in more applications.

"There is no unusual activity occurring at our visa missions (in the United States). Having someone who intends to come to Canada is not the same as someone actually putting in an application," said Iadinardi.

"We'll only find out whether there has been an increase in applications in six months."

The waiting time to become a citizen is shorter for people married to Canadians, which prompted the birth of a satirical Web site called www.marryanamerican.ca.

The idea of increased immigration by unhappy Americans is triggering some amusement in Canada. Commentator Thane Burnett of the Ottawa Sun newspaper wrote a tongue-in-cheek guide to would-be new citizens on Friday.

"As Canadians, you'll have to learn to embrace and use all the products and culture of Americans, while bad-mouthing their way of life," he said.

© Copyright Reuters Ltd. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of Reuters Ltd.

11/05/2004 14:22
RTR

Cybex
(Getting the hang of it)
2004-11-08 10:41 PM

Guess this shows that they don't really give a crap about America, just about their agenda. Regardless of who won I would never leave the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-11-09 06:47 AM

hmm...
canada sounds little better though...
btw, you missed the initial importance of the date 2nd of nov.
1979 nov second was the date when a bit bigger start was born...

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-09 02:13 PM

Don't make fun of Canada too much now guys ;0) Canada is one of the best darn places to live on planet, can think of a lot worse places to live ... don't know if you know this ... Canada ranks first among 175 countries in the United Nation's quality of life survey. ;0) The list looks like this:

Code:

TOP 10 BOTTOM 10
1. Canada 165. Central African Republic
2. Norway 166. Mali
3. United States 167. Eritrea
4. Japan 168. Guinne-Bissan
5. Belgium 169. Mozambique
6. Sweden 170. Burandi
7. Australia 171. Burkina Faso
8. Netherlands 172. Ethiopia
9. Iceland 173. Niger
10. United Kingdom 174. Sierra Leone

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-11-09 02:15 PM

now, what is UN to say anything about Q of life?

AzzerShaw
(Seasoned Scripter)
2004-11-09 03:41 PM

UK is after ICELAND Surely living around beutiful countryside has got to be better for you than living in an igloo

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-11-09 03:42 PM

uk should be after lots of [censored].
dude, it's cold down there.

AzzerShaw
(Seasoned Scripter)
2004-11-09 03:44 PM

True, but english ladys love blokes in long johns, so it kinda of balances things

JochenAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-09 03:53 PM

Somehow I miss good old Germany on the top 10
Definetly a place worth living in for me

Wtf were the criterias for this 'yet another useless ranking'-thing ?

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-09 04:04 PM

Well, it appears I used old stats, the current stats are:

Code:

Top Ten Ranking Countries:

1. Norway
2. Sweden
3. Australia
4. Canada
5. The Netherlands
6. Belgium
7. Iceland
8. United States
9. Japan
10. Ireland

We've slipped to #4 ... here are the best cities (a German city is in there cappy, and rightly so) ...

Code:

ZURICH
GENEVA
VANCOUVER
VIENNA
AUCKLAND
BERN
COPENHAGEN
FRANKFURT
SYDNEY
AMSTERDAM
MUNICH

Radimus
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-09 04:12 PM

france isn't on the list either... shame

This is a useless list, because the parameters aren't included, if they rate useless items, then the list is useless.

Income is an important issue, but so is taxes...
Healthcare is important, but so is availability...
weather is important, but so is housing availability...

In any way you measure, I figure the US is at the top of the list (if you want to work for it).

If you want to not work, get free housing, free healthcare, free government cheese, and watch the snow pile up then the nordic nations would be appealing.

If you like trees and wild and woolly (and crazy) beavers, the french canada is the way to go.

If you want great beer, and a low crime rate (because the cops will shoot you in the street or beat you with spring loaded clubs) then Germany is the place.

If you want to look down your nose at the rest of the world, secure in your belief that; Your county is the best, all other countries suck, denigrate all foreigners, and have the 80% economy rely on those foreigners, Then France is the way to go

I'm sure there are others... But you can get ALL of the above in different parts of the US. Why go anywhere else?

AzzerShaw
(Seasoned Scripter)
2004-11-09 04:23 PM

hmmma although im planning on working in US for a bit, i would defintley not say it should be at the top. Just because of the terrosit thing....

My top would have to go to Southern Ireland, beutiful land, cheap houses, good jobs, great people and the lucky leprachauns....

Radimus
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-09 04:29 PM

but not north Ireland?? The IRA??

AzzerShaw
(Seasoned Scripter)
2004-11-09 04:46 PM

yes hence me saying southern ireland, by Cork aournd there....

bearing in mind there technically two countries Northern Irleand and the Republic of Ireland..... (ill shut up now )

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-09 05:07 PM

ja, not sure how they grade these "best country" thingies, we all know that the United States is one of the "greatest" country in the world. Think that if I got exiled from Canada, personally I would head for ...

United States
England
Scotland

Only 'cause I've been there. Really like the U.K. I must say, god aweful cost of living though ;0)

AzzerShaw
(Seasoned Scripter)
2004-11-09 05:09 PM

Quote:

Only 'cause I've been there. Really like the U.K. I must say, god aweful cost of living though

Very very true....

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-11-09 06:15 PM

so, the list makers probably are just some travelling UN's north american agents...

AzzerShaw
(Seasoned Scripter)
2004-11-09 07:49 PM

Wonder if they got any freebies or backhanders

Jose
(Seasoned Scripter)
2004-11-09 08:47 PM

Where is Argentina placed on that list Shawn? 150? BTW...Canada sounds good to live, little cold thought.

Co
(MM club member)
2004-11-09 09:57 PM

Think Holland will loose its top ten position...

Dutch Muslim school hit by bomb

European press review

Dutch bid farewell to film maker

Dutch Islamic school set ablaze

Co
(MM club member)
2004-11-09 10:16 PM

Btw...

Who voted Bush??

http://chrisevans3d.com/files/iq.htm

Cybex
(Getting the hang of it)
2004-11-09 10:29 PM

I voted for Bush! I live in Florida and I have an IQ of 121. I am not sure where they got their numbers but I would guess that they pulled them out of their a**!

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2004-11-09 10:30 PM

Regardless of who voted for who those type of statistics are wonderful canon fodder for News Media, but as the saying goes:

Figures Lie, and Liars Figure

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-09 10:32 PM

Jose,

The best information I can find is Argentina = 34th - which aint too bad considering there are almost 180 countries.

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-09 10:36 PM

I drove to Buffalo and tried to vote for Bush, but they said I couldn't - idk why. fwiw, my IQ and shoe size are pretty close.

btw - if I was an American, I would have voted for Bush.

Jose
(Seasoned Scripter)
2004-11-09 10:45 PM

yeah 34 aint bad, I really thought it was worst.
Thanks Quijote you the man.

ShaneEP
(MM club member)
2004-11-09 11:38 PM

I voted for Bush as well. As far as the connection between IQ and voters...I myself dont think your IQ has much to do with how you decide who to vote for. I personally voted for bush because of the job he did immediately following 9/11/01. Still think he did a great job comforting the country following such a disaster. That and the fact that kerry seems to change his mind a bit too much. I would rather have a president that stands by his beliefs (no matter the heat he gets from it), rather than one that changes his stance to follow what the majority thinks. Other than that I didnt really care too much....and I have no idea what my IQ is, but the 3 states that ive lived in so far are ranked 14, 44, and 27. Oklahoma really dropped my average on that one.

Co
(MM club member)
2004-11-10 12:10 AM

I don't care who you voted because in my opion it doesn't make sence who of those two is President... Only the statistics interrested me.

How about EQ and votes? Shall it have the same figures..

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-10 01:33 AM

Rad's comments reminded me of the following two funny things ...

In google search for "french military victories" ...

In google search for "weapons of mass destruction" ...

Its very subtle ... lol

Radimus
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-10 02:50 AM

I voted for Bush... really for only 2 reasons.

It is a given that all politicians are underhanded, crooked, powerhungry, self-involved, etc. and as George Carlin states, the fight for the presidency is like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

#1 real reason, it that GW drew a line in the sand and turning our back on what we started will not fix anything... In for a penny, in for a pound.

#2 real reason, anything that Michael Moore and most of Hollywood agree on, I am against. And I really disagree with the Bush is Evil and Bush is Satan lines that I saw all over the place, there should be a bit more respect for the office, if not for the man.

The last election I voted for Nader for politcal reasons. Not for his platform, but because a 3rd party would stir the pot. Our current 2 party system doesn't leave much to choose from, as most people are moderate with strong views for some things and no concern for others. We are stuck either voting against 1 or 2 items that we are opposed to, instead of a candidate that has more items that we are for.

Why is it so hard to imagine being fiscally conservative (in general), while being pro-choice, believing in a strong military, and cheaper higher education?

Co
(MM club member)
2004-11-10 10:06 AM

Quote:

The last election I voted for Nader for politcal reasons. Not for his platform, but because a 3rd party would stir the pot. Our current 2 party system doesn't leave much to choose from, as most people are moderate with strong views for some things and no concern for others. We are stuck either voting against 1 or 2 items that we are opposed to, instead of a candidate that has more items that we are for.

I agree, In our country we have a Queen so we don't have to vote for a president. When we vote the parlement we can choose between several political parties. We can choose a listed member of a party. The winner of the elections choose the prime-minister. Most of the time it will be the leader of the winning party

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-11-10 10:09 AM

well, as long as there is politicians involved, it's not gonna go good.
you have no power in the end anyways... democratic system just gives you the feeling of it.
so, stop voting, wining and so on, as it won't save ya.

Co
(MM club member)
2004-11-10 10:12 AM

Also true, that's why i think it doesn't make sence who won the elections....

AzzerShaw
(Seasoned Scripter)
2004-11-10 10:17 AM

Of course voting makes a differnence....Didnt only 60% of the US voted? wat would of happneded it the other 40% voted?

And a bit of a harsh fact but Hitler got voted in

Co
(MM club member)
2004-11-10 10:23 AM

OK, But Bush or Kerry are the ones who telling us there speeches but did they wrote them too? If you know what I mean...

Radimus
(KiX Supporter)
2004-11-10 11:30 AM

but don't forget the special interest groups... those are also getting voted on. If they are backing a candidate and the candidate wins, they want to get 'paid' for it with political favors.

the American Democratic systems comes down the Business Party (Republicans) vs. the Workers Party (Democrats). The most basic defination of each party is; What is good for business is good for the nation, and What is good for the workers is good for the nation. Like most things that do not live in a vacuum, the reality is somewhere in the middle.

The special interest groups are worse than that though, as they focus on their tiny little agenda with whichever party is likey to promote their agenda. So Kerry got the Pro-choice group, and Bush got the evangelical christians and the Pro-lifers... Problem is, there are dozens of theses groups pushing their agendas and they expect to be paid if their candidate wins. Things aren't that simple today, especially with the war/terrorism going on.

People need(ed) to approve a candidate that espouses a platform beyond their typical tiny focus group and most people are ignorant of the 'bigger picture'... or perhaps not since Bush won

I still believe a 3rd major party would spread around these groups, so people could vote FOR a candidate that more closely matches their beliefs, rather than AGAINST the candidate that doesn't

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2004-11-10 11:38 AM

and, what if 100% voted for either of them?
or only 20% voted for either of them? or 10%?

does not change the fact that either one of those dudes would have got in.
so, what the heck is the difference?

Co
(MM club member)
2004-11-10 11:43 AM

It works in our country...
Country profile: The Netherlands

It worked until one week ago

Blast wounds Dutch police in raid

AzzerShaw
(Seasoned Scripter)
2004-11-10 11:51 AM

Quote:

OK, But Bush or Kerry are the ones who telling us there speeches but did they wrote them too? If you know what I mean...

Well i wonder if in Bush's speeches the long words are spel P H O NET ICALLY

Co
(MM club member)
2004-11-10 11:54 AM

LOL