ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2002-08-18 06:04 AM
Kixforms: Kixforms 2.0 Beta 1

Members:

I am very pleased and excited to introduce the release of KiXforms TNG (v2.0) Beta 1 - An object oriented GUI extension specifically designed for the KiXtart scripting language. KiXforms TNG has been totally re-engineered from the ground-up, yet is virtually 100% compatible with the older version. KiXforms v2.0 is smaller, faster and more lightweight than the original - even though it sports many new exciting controls and more functionality.

But this is not an ending - not by a long shot - it's a beginning. The list of enhancements and new features and new objects to be implemented is still about a mile long (really). There is a ton of work still to do, both from a design/coding and from a documentation standpoint. Having said that - I am very pleased to introduce another exciting effort:

You can download KiXforms v2.0 from:

The KiXforms Website

Thanks to the talented work of Rodney Clarke (rclarke) - The KiXforms Website is a reality. It's the one-stop-shop for all things KiXforms. Rod has worked diligently to convert and re-interpret the existing documention into an online format. All of the new controls have been flagged - but there is still much, much more work to do to bring the KiXforms site up-to-date with the current release. Plus, some minor behaviors and functionality may have changed in the new release, so we hope to get everything sync'd up and re-documented very soon.

The one thing that is not in the new release, that will be very shortly (as soon as I get back from vacation) are the MENU and MENUBUTTON objects. My appologies, but I have not had time to port them over to TNG ... this will be done asap when I return from vacation (Aug24).

In the meantime, I will be posting many new scripts and discussion topics into the COM forum. These will serve to demonstrate the new features - plus - I will be asking for your thoughts and ideas on how to evolve KiXforms even further - there are still many things that need to be worked-out and designed - don't forget, we're desiging this stuff ourselves - absolutley nothing is carved in stone - so if you have any ideas, thoughts, concepts - large or small, lets hear them ...

-Shawn

[ 18. August 2002, 06:27: Message edited by: Shawn ]

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-08-18 06:28 AM
Re: Kixforms: Kixforms 2.0 Beta 1

uuuh...

NTDOCAdministrator
(KiX Master)
2002-08-18 07:14 AM

Thanks for all the hard work Shawn. Tried out your demo files and they all worked fine on my system. I hope I can get some time to test this stuff out further at work.

Keep up the good work.

ps Maybe you should talk with MCA about vacations. Seems he knows how to take a much longer vacation.

Vig
(Starting to like KiXtart)
2002-08-19 12:43 AM

Funny, I just decided to start messing around with Kixform again. Thanks for updating it. I'll be posting many idiotic questions here in the near future.

rclarke
2002-08-18 01:49 PM

Firstly, many congratulations to Shawn on the release of KiXforms 2 Beta, it really is a superb achievement. Secondly, I would just like to re-iterate that there is still a considerable amount of work to do on the KiXforms web site, particularly with regard to the new objects, properties, methods and events. However, please bear with us, as they will be documented soon. We also plan to build a KiXforms script archive and revisit the existing documentation with more detail, more examples and new screen-shots. As I’m sure you will appreciate, this will all take time, but any feedback and suggestions in the interim about KiXforms and the site are much appreciated.

Rod.

[ 18. August 2002, 13:53: Message edited by: rclarke ]

Redback
(Getting the hang of it)
2002-08-19 07:00 AM

is there a nice .doc manual for tng?, like the one for V1?

i couldent see one on the website

Schuliebug
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2002-08-19 09:43 AM

Great Shawn, this sure was worth waiting for !! I think i speak for everyone when saying the Kix forum is happy to have a member like you [Wink] One small question nevertheless: now there are two places to post questions regarding Kix & Kixforms, whats the best place (e.g. which do you read frequently and which one not [Smile] ) ??

rclarke
2002-08-19 09:44 AM

Hi Redback,

The simple answer is not yet. Although when we have finished compiling instructions for the new features, you will have an on-line and fully cross-linked ‘reference manual’ at the KiXforms site.

At a later date, I may try putting together a compiled HTML help file. However, as KiXforms' development is so fluid at the moment, it would be difficult and time consuming to keep it up to date; that's why I chose the more dynamic medium of the web to create a reference work.

I appreciate that not everyone is on a broadband connection, but you could cache or print out the relevant sections of the site if you do not want to stay connected. Shawn has also produced a handy reference guide that is included in the zip file.

Rod.

[ 19. August 2002, 09:45: Message edited by: rclarke ]

rclarke
2002-08-19 09:52 AM

Hi Jan,

As Shawn may not be available for comment, he keeps threatening to go on holiday [Big Grin] I will leap in. For all KiXforms comments, suggestions, requests, queries etc, please continue to use this bulletin board. For all feedback re the web site, please use the online form.

Rod.

rclarke
2002-08-19 09:56 AM

KiXforms 2.0.1 is now available for download from The KiXforms Website. Please read the release notes, available both online and in the zip file, for changes and new features.

Rod.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-08-20 12:02 AM

I thougt it really was!
huh.
may I leap in and say this is just 2.0 beta 2?

rclarke
2002-08-19 01:18 PM

I suppose you could consider "2.0.1 Beta" as "2.0.0 Beta 2" if you wanted to, but in reality functionality has been added (and modified) rather than any specific bugs fixed. I'm no expert on versioning conventions, but at the end of the day, Shawn can call it whatever he likes [Big Grin]

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-08-19 01:38 PM

rod,
I see what you are after, but this is not even 2.0.0 yet as it is beta.
as shawn introduces the official release of 2.0.0 the numbers are going to raise.

as you see with kix, there are betas and rc's for any version change.

mmm, I thought actually that 2.0 would have been exe not dll...
this refers to the fact that the beta typelibrary has version number of 1.0

we will see, when shawn uses his veto.

anyway, I thank you for the page and the commitment you're to put into it.

cheers.

Will Hetrick
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2002-08-19 02:43 PM

Rclarke,
Very nice web site. It is well set and easy to read. The buttons are self explanatory. Easy to navigate which should make like easier to find infomation about the new Kixforms.

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2002-08-19 03:16 PM

hey guys - im still here - im on vacation - but i haven't "left" on vacation yet (woot!)

this versioning thingy is really a problem - the things is - its changing (growing) daily ... no sooner has a release been issued - then i've gone in and added something major (like a new control) ... i've got a huge list of new stuff I want to add - plus, stuff I want to change, remove and redefine ...

Jooel(anyone):

Basically I have four digits to play with, forms v2 went out with:

i think the idea is like this:

2 = major
0 = minor
0 = fix
0 = build info (developer)

so between the first release of TNG, and the current release it went like this:

2.0.0.0 (initial release)
2.0.0.1 (my build 1)
2.0.0.2 (my build 2)
2.0.0.3 (my build 3)
2.0.1.0 (public release 1)

right now, i am on:

maybe i should just go back to straight build numbers ? [Wink]

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2002-08-19 03:21 PM

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and keep two active versions (like normal) ... one version is the currently released version - and only gets fixes ... the other version is the one i'm "working on" - and that becomes the next "minor" release, with all the fixes rolled into it.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-08-19 03:29 PM

i think your current with 2.0.1.2 is good one.

it gives most info, but it's not actual with your build numbers...

what I mean is that:
kixforms.dll
fileversion: 2.0.0.0
buildnumber: 28"
privatebuild:
typelib desc: kixforms 1.0 type library
typelib version: 1.0

pretty confusing...

rclarke
2002-08-19 03:34 PM

Hi Jooel,

Yeah, you're right. Maybe it would be a good idea to just drop the Beta phrase totally as I'm not sure this really applies to a product like KiXforms, especially as it is under constant development rather than cyclical.

Rod.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-08-19 03:38 PM

shawn, what about the change to exe...

rclarke
2002-08-19 03:42 PM

Hi Will,

Many thanks for the compliments, I'm having great fun just trying to keep up with Shawn at the moment. Don't blick, otherwise you may have missed a new object or property [Big Grin]

There are many new controls that don't have documentation yet, but I am working on it and I will get the site up to date very soon.

Rod.

ShawnAdministrator
(KiX Supporter)
2002-08-19 04:03 PM

Jooel,

One of the things with TNG is that it is more "exe" ready than Version 1 was ... I had to re-organize the code internally (you might have seen in typelib viewer) that there is only one object now - I called it the "Widget" object - its a generic name for "all objects" ...

But to be honest ... im trying NOT to go toward exe support. While .exe does solve a few problems - it also introduces a few new ones.

For example, .exe support is identical to the way that InternetExplorer.Application works ... it runs as a detached process. One of the problems is as follows: When you "kill" an IE script (with ^c), the IE window stays open ! The detached IE process has no way of knowing that your script is gone (dead) ...

Another problem is when you fail to properly kill a .exe process in your script ... it can get stuck in memory and stay running for hours and days ... these problems exist today, with .exe servers like IE and OFFICE ! I've been thinking of some solutions for these problems, and they are workable (like timeouts in the process etc) ... but would rather not "go there" yet.

So with that in mind, I've built enhanced re-freshing into TNG ... so now, there should be no need for the DoEvents loop - if you have no need to trap events. For example, you could build a ProgressBar script, that just increments the progressbar VALUE by one ... and the GUI will be automatically refreshed (just through changing the VALUE property alone) ... even more to the point - your BBChecker script - you should be able to remove all those scattered INLINE() function calls that you have.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-08-19 04:14 PM

well, that refresh is right what I wanted!

to keep the form alive when I do something elsewhere.
well, not alive but looking such to user...

Waltz
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-08-19 09:35 PM

[Big Grin]
Kudos to all involved in this 'project'.
You continue to delight, to edify, and to inspire with your stellar efforts and example.
Thanks.

Redback
(Getting the hang of it)
2002-08-20 05:03 AM

I only want it so i can print it out into a nice spiral bound manual [Razz]

Mmmmm, 42ppm duplex printer........

Schuliebug
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2002-08-20 09:40 PM

Shawn,

Is it somehow possible to disable the KiXforms about box when using minimize or maximizebuttons (e.g. sysmenu<>0) ? And another KiXforms RFC: could $Form.Icon='%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe;7' be possible in the near future ? [Smile] I changed some scripts to use KiXforms 2.0.2: looks great with all those flat buttons and tooltips !

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2002-08-20 10:21 PM

Redback: We're upgrading one of our copier/printers to a networked Canon ImageRunner 50ppm with duplex, large-format, scanning-ability, hole punch,... [Smile]

I just can't convince our financial persons that we really need that saddle-stich stapler (makes a 40 page document into a ten-page booklet) [Frown]

Redback
(Getting the hang of it)
2002-08-21 03:25 AM

This is a Kyocera Mita KM-4230

Its a actually a photocopier

It prints up to a3 on duplex, hole punches and staples

I belive it can do the booklet thing and staple, however I cant get it to staple them, they print out fine though

Redback
(Getting the hang of it)
2002-08-22 06:24 AM

Shawn,

what are the chances of getting .gif support for the image control? in particular I would like support for animated gif's

/me waits patiently for Shawns return

Bonji
2002-08-24 05:17 PM

I'm having a strange problem now with KixForms. I changed our NT4 servers to Win2000 last night and moved my profile on my workstation to the new one that was created due to the different domain name. Now KixForms does not work at all. I get an error if I try to register it also. I can unregister it fine, but I get the following error when using 'regsvr32 kixforms.dll'

DllRegisterServer in kixforms.dll failed.
Return code was: 0x8002801c.

Does anyone have any insight on why this is happening? I tried registering KixWinVB just to see, and it registers without a problem. Also, I have the same situation with another user's PC and he is having the exact same symptoms. I am running Windows XP (with all the blasted little updates Microsoft is trying to take over the world with installed).

Thanks,
Ben

[ 24. August 2002, 17:18: Message edited by: Ben Dulaney ]