MxWxxxxxHxxx
(Fresh Scripter)
2003-09-23 09:47 PM
Kixtart VS ????

Could anyone provide information on Kixtart versus other scripting languages, such as VBScript, JScript, WScript, Perl? What are each of their pros and cons???

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2003-09-23 09:57 PM
Re: Kixtart VS ????

That depends entirely on the particular problem to be solved and the constraints.

Search the BBS as this has already been discussed. See e.g. Is it me or does Kix get a lack of respect?? .

Les
(KiX Master)
2003-09-23 09:58 PM

Do you really think you could get an unbiased comparison bu posting to a KiX dedicated board!

KiX RULZ!

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2003-09-23 10:09 PM

I think you can simply realize it in the fact that kixtart can use vbscript/wscript/jscript...
but not vise versa.

what comes to features, I can admit that perl and TCL have lots more functions and abilities.
the question is, what you are after.
for simple tasks, there is no reason to start studying more complex language you can do simply with kixtart.

Les
(KiX Master)
2003-09-23 10:32 PM

You don't say what you want to use it for! For logon scripting KiX is the one.

MxWxxxxxHxxx
(Fresh Scripter)
2003-09-23 10:40 PM

I'm speaking strictly for logon scripting purposes. Ease of use is not an issue. I'm looking for features and speed.

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2003-09-23 10:46 PM

I think I answered already.
if you look for speed you should look into assembler though and skip script languages [Wink]

MxWxxxxxHxxx
(Fresh Scripter)
2003-09-23 10:51 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Bryce
(KiX Supporter)
2003-09-23 10:52 PM

for login script, kix wins hands down.

The reason why.... the logon script was the birth place of kixtart.

Bryce

MxWxxxxxHxxx
(Fresh Scripter)
2003-09-23 10:58 PM

That's like saying Windows is the best because it's birthplace was the PC.

okay, maybe not.... but close

[ 23. September 2003, 23:00: Message edited by: MeWhiteHere ]

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2003-09-23 11:53 PM

I think bryce had something more like this in mind:
"...as kixtart is the only one developed for logonscript purposes"

well, dunno what he ment.
but that is at least true [Wink]
well, at least for the older kix versions.
but still the "logonscript-awareness" is really center part of kixtart language.

whereas, say jscript is mainly developed for script kiddies who know how to rip each others code from webpages.

Bryce
(KiX Supporter)
2003-09-24 12:06 AM

Now you are just being difficult. [Big Grin]

Really, for logon script applications none of the other win32 scripting languages support such a wide range of OS's, with an as easy to use, feature rich, and ease of install, than kixtart.

Easy to use... if you can program in BASIC then you will have no problem with kix

Features like group mebership: with kix it has a native ingroup() command. group membership with vbs and the others use ADSI, or a 3rd party exe.

Ease of install, at the minumim you need, kix32.exe and your logon script file on a common network share.

OS supported... win9x, win3x, NT based (in other words... all MS OS's)

Is kix lacking in some parts? Sure, but in my honest opinion, kixtart is a must have for win32 script language.

(Then again...i am a die hard kix addict)
Bryce