Stephen Wintle
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-18 02:36 PM
Disabling users access by group.

I am currently working on a script that takes away the proxy address for groups but am not having much success, has anyone managed to do this successfully? Could I have some pointers, thankyou

Heres what I have so far...
code:

IF INGROUP("YEAR6")
$rs=WriteValue ("Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "ProxyServer", "", "REG_SZ")
$rs=WriteValue ("HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "ProxyServer", "", "REG_SZ")
$rs=WriteValue ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\Network\MSTCP\0001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "ProxyServer", "", "REG_SZ")
ENDIF
IF INGROUP("YEAR8")
$rs=WriteValue ("Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "ProxyServer", "", "REG_SZ")
$rs=WriteValue ("HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "ProxyServer", "", "REG_SZ")
$rs=WriteValue ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\Network\MSTCP\0001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "ProxyServer", "", "REG_SZ")
ENDIF
IF INGROUP("YEAR9")
ENDIF
IF INGROUP("YEAR10")
ENDIF
IF INGROUP("YEAR11")
ENDIF

As you can see the "" double quotes should remove the address of the proxy server.

Cheers

Steve.

Howard Bullock
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-18 02:41 PM
Re: Disabling users access by group.

I think you are trying to alter the wrong keys/values.

code:
Function SetAutoProxy ($Proxy)
; This function sets the corporate autoproxy for the client
dim $Proxy, $key, $rc_write, $RC1, $RC2, $RC3, $RC4
$key = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"
$RC1=WriteValue($key,"ProxyEnable","0","REG_DWORD")
$RC2=WriteValue($key,"AutoConfigURL",$Proxy,"REG_SZ")
$RC3=WriteValue($key,"ProxyServer","","REG_SZ")
$RC4=WriteValue($key,"ProxyOverride","","REG_SZ")
if ($RC1+$RC2+$RC3+$RC4)>0
$ErrorState=1
WriteLog("Error setting AutoProxy registry settings. 0=success (RC1=$RC1, RC2=$RC2, RC3=$RC3, RC4=$RC4)")
endif
$file = "c:\Program Files\Plus!\Microsoft Internet\CUSTOM\install.ins"
If Exist($file)=1
$rc_write=WriteProfileString($file,"URL","AutoConfigURL",$Proxy)
$rc_write=WriteProfileString($file,"URL","AutoConfigJSURL","")
$rc_write=WriteProfileString($file,"Proxy","HTTP_Proxy_Server","")
$rc_write=WriteProfileString($file,"Proxy","FTP_Proxy_Server","")
$rc_write=WriteProfileString($file,"Proxy","Secure_Proxy_Server","")
$rc_write=WriteProfileString($file,"Proxy","Gopher_Proxy_Server","")
$rc_write=WriteProfileString($file,"Proxy","Socks_Proxy_Server","")
$rc_write=WriteProfileString($file,"Proxy","Proxy_Enable","0")
Endif
Endfunction

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-11-18 02:42 PM

I'll take liberty to shorten your code.
code:
if ingroup("Year6","Year8","Year9","Year10","Year11")
$rs=WriteValue("Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "ProxyServer", "", "REG_SZ")
$rs=WriteValue("HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "ProxyServer", "", "REG_SZ")
$rs=WriteValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\Network\MSTCP\0001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings", "ProxyServer", "", "REG_SZ")
endif

Howard Bullock
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-18 02:43 PM

But since this value/setting can be altered by the user, would it not be better to deny them access to the internet at the proxy server?

Stephen Wintle
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-18 02:47 PM

The proxy is controllled by the LEA off the site (Local education Authority)

Steve.

Stephen Wintle
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-18 02:49 PM

You see what im trying to accomplish is a way to stop the users from accessing the internet during their lessons but have it simple enough to put the proxy address back in later!

Steve.

Howard Bullock
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-18 02:50 PM

I think my code above will get you close.

Stephen Wintle
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-18 02:55 PM

Howard, does your script disable the proxy? This just requires me to replace the 0 with a 1?

Steve

Les
(KiX Master)
2002-11-18 03:23 PM

Beware that proxy setting could be either per user or per machine.

Howard Bullock
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-18 03:30 PM

My function work to set the Autoproxy field for each user. You call the function with the specific url that defines your autoproxy code. If you want to turn it off, just call the function with a bogus url string ot empty string.

Stephen Wintle
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-18 03:34 PM

Apologies for being stupid what is the custom.ins file for and do I need this Howard?

Steve

Howard Bullock
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-18 03:38 PM

That is the code to support altering the proxy for some Netscape implemetations. I believe it to be like the default config for new users.

No question is stupid. We all have a myriad of issues with which we have to deal. Sometimes in that mix, other peoples' work clicks immediately and sometimes not. No Problem.

[ 18. November 2002, 15:39: Message edited by: Howard Bullock ]

Stephen Wintle
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-18 04:22 PM

Ive tried running your script in debug mode but not able to get past first line.

Howard Bullock
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-18 04:25 PM

And your error is?

This is a function supported in KiXtart 4.0 and higher. What version of KixTart are you using?

Darren_W
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2002-11-18 04:31 PM

Hi,

Would it not be better to disable the proxy server with the ProxyEnable Key and prevent access to connection details with windows policies?

eg.

code:

;enable proxy
IF INGROUP("YEAR6")

$key="HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"
$rtn=writevalue($key,"ProxyEnable","1","REG_DWORD")

endif

;disable proxy
IF INGROUP("YEAR7")

$key="HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"
$rtn=writevalue($key,"ProxyEnable","0","REG_DWORD")

ENDIF

Darren

Howard Bullock
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-18 04:34 PM

That is already in the code above. One would have to determine if static or autoproxy were to be used and adjust the code accordingly.

Stephen Wintle
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-18 04:38 PM

It is static proxy Howard, the ver of Kix is 4,0,2

Steve.

Howard Bullock
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-18 04:57 PM

Being a static proxy setting, Darren's code may be more to the point.

I still do not know why you can't execute my UDF. If you execute your test code in a DOS window, what is displayed?

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2002-11-18 07:53 PM

The registry modifications in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT will not work under Windows NT/2000/XP if the user doesn't have local administrative privileges.

Stephen Wintle
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-19 01:09 PM

It seems that Internet Explorer is per machine on my 9x clients, so would I modify darrens script to include the LOCAL_MACHINE keys?

Stephen Wintle
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-19 02:10 PM

Used the following and STILL am able to connect to the internet.. What could be causing this? Is their anything that im missing. Any help much appreciated.

code:

IF INGROUP("Administrators")
? "Net disabled.."
$key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"
? "Net disabled.."
? "Net disabled.."
? "Net disabled.."

The odd thing is all of the keys have been updated..

Many thanks

Steve

Howard Bullock
(KiX Supporter)
2002-11-19 02:15 PM

don't know your environment: are your running an autoproxy script as it uses different registry values; do you use a proxy at all?; could the pages you see be from the local cache?

Stephen Wintle
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-19 02:25 PM

No proxy script, but their is a volera box that does the web caching, this box acts as the proxy.. Then volera redirects through to our ISP Ill check to see if it is viewing cached only...

Steve

Stephen Wintle
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-19 02:48 PM

No its getting through on cached/non cached..

Strange..

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2002-11-19 02:54 PM

Have you rebooted the client after making the changes?

Darren_W
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2002-11-19 03:24 PM

Hi,

What is your settings in internet explorer's Connection and LAN Settings?

Are they affected by running the script?

If you manualy unswitch the ProxyEnable box (First box under Proxy Server) does this enable/disable internet access?

Darren

Stephen Wintle
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-19 04:40 PM

YES! It works fine when you type this in manually!

Darren_W
(Hey THIS is FUN)
2002-11-19 04:51 PM

Hi,

The only thing I could think of is the timing of running the script, I generaly exacute the proxy settings after the user has logged in with runonce which is set in the inital script that runs.

eg.

code:

; Once login in sequence complete, i.e. user.dat downloaded to PC, run login1.kix
$key="HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce"
$rtn=writevalue($key,"kix","kix32 \\server\netlogon\login1.kix","reg_sz")

Perhaps this could solve your problem?

Darren [Smile]

Stephen Wintle
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-20 01:59 PM

I do run the script after log on (also I have this script loading HKEY_CURRENT_USER keys into the reg from a shell successfully) and although it does return a 'key loaded' string it still does not change the reg key!

Ive posted the whole script.
code:

SetConsole ("HIDE")
IF @USERID="MARGARET.COX" AND @DATE="2002/10/10"
PLAY "0g256t 0g4d1047f f 1g8d1175f 1047f 1397f 2g16d1319f 0g4d1047f f 1g8d1175f 1047f 1568f 2g16d1397f 0g4d1047f f 1g8d2093f 1760f 1397f 1319f 2g16d1175f 0g6d1865f f 1g11d1760f 1397f 1568f 3g21d1397f256t 0g 18d 0ffff 2d"
ENDIF
If @DAY = "Friday"
call "c:\windows\cleanup.kix"
ENDIF

;---------------------------------------Removes internet access ----------------------------
;disable proxy
shell "regedit /s c:\windows\disanet.reg"
? "Key loaded" ; this doesnt work!
ENDIF
IF INGROUP("YEAR8")
ENDIF
IF INGROUP("YEAR9")
ENDIF
IF INGROUP("YEAR10")
ENDIF
IF INGROUP("YEAR11")
ENDIF
;------------------- Deletes Key First----------------------------
$rmv = DelKey("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities")
If $rmv = 0
? "Key deleted..."
Endif
;----------------- loadKey from c: ---------------------------------------------
shell "regedit /s c:\windows\outlook.reg"
? "key loaded" ; works fine!

;----------------- loadKey from c: ---------------------------------------------
shell "regedit /s c:\windows\internet.reg"
? "key loaded"

$hidedrv="HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies"
IF (WriteValue("$hidedrv"+"\Explorer","NoDrives","8650812",REG_DWORD) <> 0)
? "Warning "@error+": "@serror
ENDIF
$pubsve="HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Publisher"
IF (WriteValue("$pubsve","DefaultPath","H:","REG_SZ") <> 0)
ENDIF
;----------------------------- Showing Username in Internet Exp---------------------------------------------
$rs=WriteValue ("Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PageSetup", "header", "@FULLNAME&bPage &p of &P", "REG_SZ")
$rs=WriteValue ("Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PageSetup", "footer", "&u", "REG_SZ")
;------------------------------ Inserting Fullname and email address in outlook-----------------
$rs=WRITEVALUE ("Identities\{00000001-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts\00000002", "SMTP Display Name", "@FULLNAME", "REG_SZ")
$add=@USERID+"@@HOLTE.BHAM.SCH.UK"
IF(WriteValue("Identities\{00000001-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts\00000002", "SMTP Email Address", "$add", "REG_SZ") <> 0)
ENDIF
;----------------------- Setting favorites ---------------------------------------------
IF (WRITEVALUE("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","Favorites","H:\MyWork\AppData\Favorite","REG_SZ") <> 0)
ENDIF
cd windows
shell "%comspec% /c deltree /Y c:\windows\*.bmp"
; - homepage -
$ikey="HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main"
IF (ExistKey($ikey) = 0)
IF ($debug_mode = "yes")
? "input -> ["+$ikey+"]"
ENDIF
;
$default_start_page="http://www.holte.bham.sch.uk" ; - set it to your homepage -
$ikey_ex="Start Page"
$ivalue=ReadValue($ikey, $ikey_ex)
IF (ExistKey($ikey+"\"+$ikey_ex) = 0)
$result_data_type=ReadType($ikey, $ikey_ex)
ELSE
$result_data_type="REG_SZ"
ENDIF
IF ($debug_mode = "yes")
? " "+$ikey_ex+"="+ReadValue($ikey, $ikey_ex)+" "+ReadType($ikey, $ikey_ex)
ENDIF
IF ($ivalue <> $default_start_page)
IF (writevalue($ikey, $ikey_ex, $default_start_page, $result_data_type) = 0)
IF (writevalue($ikey, $ikey_ex, $default_start_page, "REG_SZ") = 0)
ENDIF
$info=$info+" IExplorer.Start_Page[old]=('"+$ivalue+"' > '"+$default_start_page+"')"
ENDIF
ENDIF
ENDIF
? "Update completed. Result: "+$info
cookie1
EXIT

Its a shame because im so close to getting this to
work!!

[ 20. November 2002, 14:01: Message edited by: Howard Bullock ]

LonkeroAdministrator
(KiX Master Guru)
2002-11-20 02:24 PM

which one is the not loading one?
if outlook, can't help.

Stephen Wintle
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-20 02:42 PM

This is bizzarre!! Ive exported the key before doing this ive manually disabled the ProxyServer (set it to value 0) exported this to the root of C:\ (called it disanet.reg) the branch being, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings. Ive then run the following (after manually deleting the branch!)
code:

;disable proxy
$rmv = DelKey("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings")
If $rmv = 0
? "Key deleted..."
Endif
shell "regedit /s c:\disanet.reg"
? "Key loaded"
ENDIF

If I load this key through the script it sets the value of ProxyServer to 1 if I merge the key manually (by right clicking on it) it does excactly what I want and sets it to 0... Im going mad!!!

Steve

Stephen Wintle
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-20 02:55 PM

Since posting the last post I noticed I had put an addional endif in the script ive since taken this out and it still is behaving in the same way...

Steve

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2002-11-20 03:44 PM

Does it still not work after applying the registry changes and rebooting the computer?

Stephen Wintle
(Seasoned Scripter)
2002-11-22 10:23 AM

Thanks for everybodies help, I managed to get it working in the end. The problem was I was trying to run the Ingroup function using global groups in a 9x environment (I had to create a few local groups for each of my year groups is all!) It pays to read the manuall!!!

Cheers

Sealeopard
(KiX Master)
2002-11-22 03:51 PM

Do you run the KiXtart RPC Service? There are posts in the FAQ Forum with regards to the RPC Service and Windows 9x support. Worth reading, too.