Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#40139 - 2003-05-14 05:10 PM ARG - Can KixTart do this - Extensive Copy Routine
Les DeFoor Offline
Just in Town

Loc: Salem, OR
[Moderator (Sealeopard): Moved thread form 'Scripts' to 'Starters' forum due to lack of script in body]

Hi, I don't have a script to post as I am not sure which way to go with this...

I am not sure if Kix can do this, I am sure it can, BUT - I don't know how to even start.

Delima - I have a program that when I update, I have to copy an entire directory to EACH user's home directory after the install. While I only have about 52 users, this still takes a better part of an hour to do. The updates come in about twice a week, so, there I stand, at the server copying a folder to EACH user profile twice a week - REDUNDANT!

My users don't change very often so a script would make sense.

What I need to do: Copy an entire folder (with sub folders) to EACH USER PROFILE. My path looks like: c:\User Share Folder\JoeD and the folder below that is like 02, so c:\User Share Folder\JoeD\02 needs to be copied to all of the c:\User Share Folder\%USERNAME% EVERYTHING in that folder needs to be replaced and it does ask to over right several times so a quiet mode would be excellent...

ANY assistance would be appreciated. Thanks...

OH, I am currently using Kix V4.0

[ 14. May 2003, 17:15: Message edited by: sealeopard ]

#40140 - 2003-05-14 05:14 PM Re: ARG - Can KixTart do this - Extensive Copy Routine
Howard Bullock Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Harrisburg, PA USA
I would suggest using robocopy.exe with the proper switches. The robocopy call could be either placed in a KiXtart script loop for each user ID. Or you could use a CMD file and use the FOR command to loop of a list or directories.

#40141 - 2003-05-14 05:19 PM Re: ARG - Can KixTart do this - Extensive Copy Routine
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
For a pure KiXtart solution, use the DIRPLUS() or DIRLIST() UDFs to enumerate the top-level folders. Then loop through the folders, potentially delete the original files and copy the new files. Will require KiXtart 4.21 RC2 or higher to take advantage of recursive COPY command.

#40142 - 2003-05-14 08:02 PM Re: ARG - Can KixTart do this - Extensive Copy Routine
Les DeFoor Offline
Just in Town

Loc: Salem, OR
Thanks for the advice.

Well, I have downloaded the latest version of Kix and well - you have guessed it - IGNORANCE runs rampant [Smile]

If I use the DIRLIST() and pull in a list of the directiories (my user names), then how the heck do I do all the other stuff [Frown]

I looked through what UDF's were and didn't see a corilation?

I am sorry - I am totally lost.

#40143 - 2003-05-14 09:13 PM Re: ARG - Can KixTart do this - Extensive Copy Routine
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
well, I think you are best of actually with... the copy udf...

http://www.kixtart.org/board/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000245

with the switches it has, it is easy like ... well, sitting.

download KiXnet

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 128 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
SERoyalty, mytar, Gabriel, Alex_Evos, Dansen
17869 Registered Users

Generated in 0.052 seconds in which 0.023 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org