Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#59288 - 2001-09-25 04:54 PM Cannot handle COM events?
Richard H. Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: Leatherhead, Surrey, UK
I've been playing with networking via COM automation and everything was going well until I needed to get a connection request ID.

This is made available as an event of the COM object, and I can't see any way of getting it.

Can someone confirm that there is no way to respond to events.

#59289 - 2001-09-25 05:19 PM Re: Cannot handle COM events?
Shawn Administrator Offline
Administrator

Richard,

Depends on the object. We know for sure that KiXtart COM doesn't support ActiveX event handling in any way. So having said that, most times an object will provide state properties that you can loop against. For example, IE has navigation state change events, but it also provides a readystate property that non-event-aware scripting languages can query ... so again, depends on the object ...

What object is this ? Playing with the HTTP driver-control ?

-Shawn

#59290 - 2001-09-25 06:12 PM Re: Cannot handle COM events?
Administrator

No, I'm playing around with the low level winsock object.

I can create a listener and telnet to it, but the socket state never changes from "listening". When the object hears my incoming telnet session it will trigger a "ConnectionRequest" event which passes a requestID.

While waiting the socket state should change to "ConnectionPending", but it doesn't. I guess that the inability to raise events is causing this, but I'm not sure. If I attempt to accept the connection anyway I get a "socket is not in the correct state" error.

I'm quite happy that the two are talking - as soon as I quit the listener the telnet session from the remote machine is also killed.

I'd write my own library which didn't depend on events, but I'm a *nix "C" coder and I get nervous at the sight of object orientation, and positively ill when confronted with non linear program control, so I'm struggling.

I've been looking at the idispatch stuff to see if I can find the events in a stack somewhere and handle them manually, but it has given me a headach so I'm going to have a lie-down.

Perhaps a facility to register Kix functions as handlers for events is the best way to go. Sounds like an awful lot of work though.

In case I'm missing something, here is a simple example of the code I was playing with:

code:
break on

$oSocket = CreateObject("mswinsock.winsock")
if @error <> 0 "Cannot create socket object:" ? @error " / " @serror ? exit 1 endif

"My Name: " $oSocket.LocalHostName ? ; Who am i
"My IP: " $oSocket.LocalIP ? ; Where am i
$oSocket.Protocol=0 ; Equates to TCP
$oSocket.LocalPort=10000 ; Any old non-restricted socket
$oSocket.RemotePort=0 ; We are a listener
$oSocket.Listen ; Start Listening
if @error <> 0 @error " / " @serror ? endif
while $cKeyPress <> "q"
?
"Socket Information: " ?
" Status: " $oSocket.State ?
" RemoteHost: " $oSocket.RemoteHost ?
" RemoteHostIP: " $oSocket.RemoteHostIP ?
" RemotePort: " $oSocket.RemotePort ?
" BytesReceived: " $oSocket.BytesReceived ?
" SocketHandle: " $oSocket.SocketHandle ?
" Hit a key to refresh, 'q' to exit: " get $cKeyPress
loop

$oSocket=0

If you run the script (and have the winsock control!) you will start a listener on port 10000. You will see that the status is "2", which is sckListening. You can now telnet to port 10000. The status should change to "3", sckConnectionPending but it doesn't.

If you drop the listener (hit 'q') you will see that the telnet session is forced closed as well.

I'm a bit of a COM numpty, so any advice / direction would be appreciated.

#59291 - 2001-09-25 07:30 PM Re: Cannot handle COM events?
Bryce Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Houston TX
I must say.... after reading this post.... I got goose-bumps!

I do not know why your com object is not working... have you tried using VBscript to do the same results?

I too have been looking for a way to script low level tcpip functions, but I have not found a way to do so. I never would have thought of creating my own library!

Bryce

[ 25 September 2001: Message edited by: Bryce ]

#59292 - 2001-09-25 07:51 PM Re: Cannot handle COM events?
Administrator

Guys,

ok - i just ported Richards script to VB and it works like a charm ... here's that ...

code:

Private Sub Form_Load()

winsock.Protocol = 0
winsock.LocalPort = 80
winsock.RemotePort = 0
winsock.Listen

End Sub

Private Sub winsock_ConnectionRequest(ByVal requestID As Long)

MsgBox ("Hello, World")

End Sub

mswinsock is more than an Automation object - it's an OCX (an ActiveX control in the pure sense of the term) ... this means that it must be hosted by an ActiveX control container like VB - but WSH/VBScript/JScript can also host controls and respond to events (it's just not documented very well) ... but in terms of KiXtart, I think we're screwed ...

-Shawn

#59293 - 2001-09-25 08:16 PM Re: Cannot handle COM events?
Administrator

Managed to get this (hastily written) script working under WSH/VBScript ... run it like this :

cscript test.vbs

code:

Dim oSocket

Set oSocket = WScript.CreateObject("mswinsock.winsock", "oSocket_")

oSocket.Protocol=0
oSocket.LocalPort=80
oSocket.RemotePort=0
oSocket.Listen

WScript.Echo "Sleeping for ten seconds ..."

WScript.Sleep 10000

sub oSocket_ConnectionRequest(requestID)
msgbox "Connection Request Received !!!"
end sub

This is fun !

-Shawn

[ 25 September 2001: Message edited by: Shawn ]

#59294 - 2001-09-25 11:33 PM Re: Cannot handle COM events?
Bryce Offline
KiX Supporter

I do not have the mswinsock.winsock library installed, after some digging.... i would need to install one of the visual studio products....

Bryce

#59295 - 2001-09-25 11:48 PM Re: Cannot handle COM events?
Bryce Offline
KiX Supporter

guys... this might be worth looking into!
http://www.catalyst.com/download/wrench.html

the freeware version might be interesting!

Bryce

#59296 - 2001-09-26 06:36 PM Re: Cannot handle COM events?
Administrator

Well spotted Bryce!

I have a working solution using the 32-bit Catalyst control, and I'll drop a sample here sometime tomorrow once I've cleaned it up. Prepare to be slightly bemused.

I didn't have any luck with the 16 bit version - it just kept telling me that the class wasn't registered, even after I manually registered it. I wanted to used the 16 bit version because the docs implied that it was designed to run in a non-event driven environment.

It's just a shame that you need a 5MB download to get it working.

Shawn, as our resident COM/OLE guru do you have any pointers to creating basic DLL's where I can plug in some 'C' code to do the job in the same vein as the kixlib32 code?

#59297 - 2001-09-26 07:08 PM Re: Cannot handle COM events?
Administrator

Richard,

Yesiree bob - the best (THE BEST) tool for creating COM (Automation) objects (ala kixlib32) is to use Visual Studio 6 C++ (obviously) and the ATL (ActiveX Template Library) ... ATL IS NOT MFC (thank god) and doesn't require the use of the MFC runtimes ... (did I mention that I hate MFC ?!!!)

When starting a new project, select the ATL COM AppWizard, give your component a name and ATL will create a bare-bones COM component server for you ... Adding ATL classes (the objects themselves) is a snap, adding methods and properties is easy as well ... the wizard will automatically create your prototypes and your insert your function wrappers. This is were you can plug-in your code ...

The only thing the ATL wizard does not do (very well) is allow you to specify your method parameters. To do this, you need to learn IDL (Interface Definition Language) but with COM, it's good to know that anyway ... plus you only need to learn the bit that relates to specifying method parms ...

Would be glad to assist you in anyway I can ... maybe we can work-up a small project and step through it together (offline) ...

-Shawn

#59298 - 2003-09-08 07:26 PM Re: Cannot handle COM events?
Laagje Offline
Fresh Scripter

Loc: Wijk bij Duurstede / Holland
So ....

any1 care to post an example already ? [Smile]
#59299 - 2003-09-08 07:30 PM Re: Cannot handle COM events?
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
I hope you washed your hands after dredging up a 2 year old post. [Eek!]

#59300 - 2003-09-08 07:33 PM Re: Cannot handle COM events?
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
was thinking something similar...
I know there is someones who do that and survive to tell their children, but I wouldn't advice this for everyone [Razz]

download KiXnet

#59301 - 2003-09-09 11:08 AM Re: Cannot handle COM events?
Administrator

Here is a link to the post that contains the work I did with the Catalyst socket object:
http://www.kixtart.org/board/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002291#000000

That's as far as I got, and I decided that it was not going to be useful enough to put any more work into - I switched back to 'C' coding where I needed network access.

The frame-work is all there, but remember that you will not at any stage be able to pass binary data reliably.

Also don't forget that the work is now 2 years old - KiXtart has moved on a lot since then. Ben Dulaney has done some work porting to the newer version of KiXtart and using KiXforms.

#59302 - 2003-09-09 11:41 AM Re: Cannot handle COM events?
KiX Master Guru

there is a way to pass binary data.
but the way is that you don't give the data to kixtart but keep it with the com-objects.

like, if you send a binary file, do it with ado or something.
anyway, with network games and discussion apps, string data is all you need.

download KiXnet

#59303 - 2003-09-11 03:36 AM Re: Cannot handle COM events?
KiX Master Guru

hmm...
as addition to shawns "tutorial" of creating com-object, I decided to pass this one:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnguion/html/msdn_093098.asp

ps, it was approved by shawn with words "excellent great" [Wink]

download KiXnet

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Glenn Barnas, NTDOC, Arend_, Jochen, Radimus, Allen, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 138 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
MaikSimon, kvn317, kixtarts2025, SERoyalty, mytar
17872 Registered Users

Generated in 0.071 seconds in which 0.026 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org