Page 7 of 7 « First<34567
Topic Options
#208748 - 2014-03-21 03:24 AM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Allen]
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one Allen. Unfortunately the new ways as software moves forward often removes some of the good from previous versions and/or introduces new issues in what seems like a never ending cycle.
#210047 - 2015-03-07 02:49 AM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: NTDOC]
Allen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
Lonk posted the following link in another thread and I wanted to put it here too.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1801781

This link has some suggestions as to how to programmatically associate programs in Windows 8.x, ie FORCE IT by Deleting registy values.

Quote:

1) change as needed: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\FileExts\[extension here]\OpenWithList
2) remove all the keys beginning with 'AppX' for the desired file extensions in [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\[extension here]\OpenWithProgids]

#210049 - 2015-03-07 02:16 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Allen]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
I'll add something where Win-8x finally bit me..

I'm pushing out daily maintenance from a management console. Some tasks run during the day but other intensive tasks are scheduled for after-hours. If a user shuts down the PC, it doesn't run, but - the next time it does, any tasks missed from the past week are performed as a "catch up" process. During this catch-up, if a reboot task was missed, it is performed only if the current uptime is more than 4 days.

Well, we had this one user (a senior server engineer running W8.1) who would swear that they rebooted on Friday, shut down the PC for the weekend while on-call, and yet - when they allowed the maintenance to run on Monday, the maintenance rebooted their system!

So one Monday, he is in the office instead of at a client, so I look at the laptop and run the UPTIME command from the resource kit. It shows 11 DAYS!! WTH!? He swears that he just powered it up. Hibernation? No! So I reboot and it still shows 11 days uptime.

Turns out, the new Fast Boot feature is enabled. This performs a sort of "mini-hibernate" of select system settings - no user environment is saved. It seems that one side effect of this is that while the user session is created fresh, the system state is maintained and this affects the uptime report. There is a way to REALLY shut down, but it involves special/extra clicks.. so, we're disabling this feature for now on the W8.x clients.

Glenn

#210052 - 2015-03-07 04:23 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Glenn Barnas]
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
That sucks.

download KiXnet

#210053 - 2015-03-07 04:36 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Lonkero]
Allen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
I've been turning that feature off for some time too. Some ways back in this thread I was having an issue with my Dell not starting correctly, and this was the fix. However the main reason I turned it off was because it could really interfere when you have an issue with the OS. Rather than turn off the computer and get back to a clean state, it would do its "hibernation" thing, and bring the computer right back to the state it was in.
#210054 - 2015-03-07 04:49 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Allen]
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
How can that constitute as a boot? I don't get it...

download KiXnet

#210062 - 2015-03-09 07:56 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Lonkero]
Administrator

We only have like 3 laptops that are running Windows 8 in production. All others are Windows 7 (actually probably still have a couple of XP laptops too). I've seen this on computers though that come or users that bring in systems. I can understand as it's supposed to speed things up for the user - yada yada yada - but the user should be able to easily choose a "real" restart without having to research it. There are actually even what I call "warm reboots" where sometimes a device like a NIC or Video Card will remember it's state and not recover on a reboot but if you do a full shut down, wait a couple seconds and power back up it will be just fine. Doesn't happen often but when it does you're like WTH

So having this fake reboot has pros and cons to it.

#210069 - 2015-03-10 01:58 PM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Lonkero]
Jochen Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Stuttgart, Germany
so in conclusion:

Quote:

How can that constitute as a boot?

Answer: It just can't

#210082 - 2015-03-11 02:25 AM Re: The Joy of Windows 8 [Re: Jochen]
Administrator

ROFL - not one that most of us understand
Page 7 of 7 « First<34567

Moderator:  Arend_, Allen, Jochen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 681 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
MaikSimon, kvn317, kixtarts2025, SERoyalty, mytar
17872 Registered Users

Generated in 0.052 seconds in which 0.021 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org