Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#205783 - 2012-09-20 12:11 AM Re: Is there a Kixtart FAQ on running part of script with elevated privileges [Re: Glenn Barnas]
Robdutoit Offline
Hey THIS is FUN

Loc: London, England
Just to let everyone know, I at long last managed to get everything working. I will put up the instructions in a week or two. I seriously need a break from writing this script. I have had it with programming for the moment. But I do think it will be a very good idea to have something like this in the best practice area because far too many people go the easy route and just make everyone a member of the local admins group, which defaults the whole point of security in windows. So I will upload my instructions soon.

Glenn your program does sound very useful, so I will definitely review it for you at some point in the near future. As I said, my main problems are that I only wanted to write 8 protected keys so I feel installing a program that runs permanently on the server just to modify 8 keys is really overkill for what I am looking for. Having said that, the amount of work I have put in to get this bloody thing to work is nothing short of ridiculous lol.

#205784 - 2012-09-20 01:02 PM Re: Is there a Kixtart FAQ on running part of script with elevated privileges [Re: Robdutoit]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
Hmm.. I guess I should have mentioned that, being a Kix script, it doesn't HAVE TO run as a service.. you can run the install without the service and just run it manually. It will work the same way as long as the admin is logged into the server and running the listener script. Great way to test or do a quick rollout as you have.

I have several Kix scripts that run as services, including a commercial product that does log management/archiving. This one script/service manages all logs on a server - event logs, web logs, email logs, really - any kind. Another is a remote module for my helpdesk tool that uses TCP/IP Sockets to respond to requests from a central admin/diagnostic tool.

I'll collect the install notes into a proper manual for the Remote Admin Service so it will be ready to review when you have time.

Glenn

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 314 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Jojo67, MaikSimon, kvn317, kixtarts2025, SERoyalty
17873 Registered Users

Generated in 0.083 seconds in which 0.059 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org