Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#192622 - 2009-02-26 11:28 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Allen]
Allen Administrator Online   shocked
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
Not in this list, but I read somewhere else (can't find the link now), Windows 7 will include GPO support for Power Management.
#192879 - 2009-03-13 09:46 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Allen]
KiX Supporter

More news and changes to Win7

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/03/13/a-few-more-changes-from-beta-to-rc.aspx

#192881 - 2009-03-13 11:56 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Allen]
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
Thanks Allen,

I'm sure others care about many of those features but only items like 7, 19 seem of much value to me. But I know my kids would care more about all the CANDY fixes.

#192882 - 2009-03-14 12:02 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: NTDOC]
Administrator

hmmmm Just noticed that Server 2008R2 Beta only appears to be available for x64 and ia64 no x86 at least posted so far on Technet.

Is that a sign of something

#192884 - 2009-03-14 12:18 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: NTDOC]
Administrator

This looks pretty neat.

Migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 Beta with Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010 Beta
http://edge.technet.com/Media/User-State-Migration-with-Windows-7/

There's been a lot of press about how there isn't a an upgrade path from Windows XP to Windows 7. In this video, Jeremy walked me through using the latest beta of the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, specificallly the User State Migration Tool, to transfer the user settings and files from a Windowx XP installation to a new install of Windows 7 on the same PC.
One of the really cool features in this new version is hardlink migration. In the past, if you wanted to back up all of a users files and settings, those had to be transferred to a different drive, and the new OS install would wipe the machine, complete the new install, and then you'd transfer the files back. With hardlink migration, all the files stay in place on the machine, and the Win7 install just updates file locations with hardlinks. This means the install and settings transfer happens much faster, because the files aren't transferred at all, just the paths to them are updated. It's really cool, and means you can have a fresh install of Win7, with all your XP files and settings, completed in as few as 30 minutes.
The new Microsoft Deployment Toolkit beta can be found on http://connect.microsoft.com

#192890 - 2009-03-14 12:47 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: NTDOC]
Glenn Barnas Administrator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: New Jersey
FYI, I just installed Windows 7 on an AOpen MP945 MicroPC and am quite impressed - the installation was flawless, no need to load additional drivers (even for this non-standard PC), and performance marks of 4.6 without any tweaks. 1.8GHz dual core, 2G RAM, and a 160G Fujitsu 2.5" 7200 RPM SATA drive in the unit. It will be getting a workout in the coming week.

Glenn

#193720 - 2009-05-06 10:24 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Glenn Barnas]
JNK Offline
Fresh Scripter

It's BETA, I know, but ....

Kixtart 4.60 and 4.61 BETA detect Windows 7 machines as "Windows Vista". Just wondering if there is an ETA on a "W7-aware" build.

#193742 - 2009-05-08 09:19 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: JNK]
KiX Supporter

Now running RC1 on my main pc. Installation, again was flawless. Starts a little faster than Vista, but for me, that was never an issue. Apps all run that worked with Vista, although sites like Adobe have no idea what OS you are running when you go to install Acrobat and Flash. They've added a handful of themes, and many nice backgrounds.

Now my grumbles...

Windows Media Player 12 sucks. The big thing they removed is the minimized player to the toolbar option. I mean damn... at least give us a widget or something. Maybe 12 is still in beta because it just doesn't work all that well.

Despite the advance of the new UAC, which is much less in your face, it's still interferes with permissions, etc. I found this out by trying to manually add a folder to the Program Files (x86) directory. Wouldn't let me without turning off UAC.

Be forwarned... Printers no longer exists in the control panel. Now its "Devices and Printers"

I'm forcing myself to use the new toolbar. I didn't do this in the beta. I keep coming back to the thought of "If I wanted a Mac, I would have bought one", because its just like OSX's app bar. I really don't like it, but I'm trying (forcing) it. Microsoft has obviously not taken any steps for those that like a double tall tool bar. The icons are either too big and cause a massive gap in the tray where the running apps are, or the icons are too small on the taskbar, and there is a massive gap between those. The other thing I noticed, is when you turn off the new taskbar and try to use the old way of things, applications now have a Parent-Child relationship, and will re-order on the bar as such. For people like myself who like my apps in a certain order, this is not welcome.

As others found out in the beta, the old style Start Menu is no longer an option.

6 Screensavers? WTF?

They have added something called a "Library". I really haven't spent any time looking into it, but it like a grouping of folders. The default library looks to like its your profile folders.

They have renamed the "Documents", "Music", and "Pictures" folders back to all having "My ..." in front, just not on the Start Menu.

I'll add more as I find it

#193744 - 2009-05-08 11:08 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Allen]
Administrator

I'm using the 64 Bit RC of Windows 7 and the Server Admin Tools for managing my Server 2003 network all seem to work well so far.

Yes, a bit faster than Vista for me too on boot and doing most tasks.

I agree, I would really rather they left the GUI as Windows XP but guess that's just not going to happen. Like it or not if you're going to be on Windows you're going to have to get used to Windows 7 sooner or later or just be stuck in your room on an older Windows XP.

My script that adds some links to network shares to "My Network Places" still sort of works. There is no "My Network Places" on Vista or Windows 7 but on Windows 7 it appears to stick it in the "My Computer" section and it works just the way it was scripted to.

#193750 - 2009-05-11 10:26 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: NTDOC]
Arend_ Moderator Offline
MM club member

Loc: Hilversum, The Netherlands
I agree with Allen on all things. That said I tried the XP Mode too, this is a nice and welcome feature. You can run your old programs (read SAP) in that still. It is a just a Virtual Machine but it does have the very nice feature that the installed applications integrate into the start menu of W7 and also very nice that you can start those apps on your Windows 7 desktop without having to go into the Virtual Machine (off course it still runs in the background) but performance wise it runs really good. Although you really notice the x64/x86 difference here. XP Mode runs a lot better on the x64 version.

Nice thing about this and PLEASE take note of this. Downloading XP mode beta provides you with a VHD of a fully activated and genuine Windows XP. So copy it for your own reasons BEFORE you make your first boot with it. Which brings me to the only problem I have with XP Mode. You can not take snapshots of it. Maybe they will change that in the RTM but I doubt it, I would really prefer to have the option (like in VMWare) to take snapshots though.

#193752 - 2009-05-11 01:32 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Arend_]
KiX Supporter

@Apronk, got a link for the XPVM? How do you mean copy it before running it?

I didn't realize XPVM was already in beta. I need to check it out too... \:\)

#193753 - 2009-05-11 02:02 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Allen]
Arend_ Moderator Offline
MM club member

Loc: Hilversum, The Netherlands
@Allen, Windows XP Mode Beta v1.1.7112.1 (x86 & x64) and you will need this before you can use XP Mode.

When installing XP mode, it will install 3 things into X:\Program Files\Virtual Windows XP.

1. KEY.txt (you can guess what this is, so copy this!)
2. Virtual Windows XP.vhd (copy this!)
3. VXPEULA.txt

#193768 - 2009-05-11 05:28 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Arend_]
KiX Supporter

Cool. Thanks.
#193803 - 2009-05-12 10:07 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Mart]
Ashpoint Offline
Starting to like KiXtart

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Hi Mart...

<<The first bump I encountered is RealVNC>>

Have you tried Ultra VNC from http://www.uvnc.com/download/

Mchael

#193809 - 2009-05-13 08:58 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Ashpoint]
Mart Moderator Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: The Netherlands
Well.....I have to say that we abandoned Windows 7 tests a bit because of all the other stuff that came up. Now that RC1 is out we are reconsidering freeing up some time to test.

- Chuck Norris once sold ebay to ebay on ebay.

#193884 - 2009-05-14 10:27 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Allen]
DStelz Offline
Getting the hang of it

Loc: Green Bay, WI
I was impressed with how everything actually worked after the install. Although it seems that if it worked on Vista, it works on 7. I did like the sidebar in Vista that it resized all my other windows if I wanted the sidebar to always appear on the right. Doesn't do that on 7. My bluetooth doesn't work on my Thinkpad which kind of sucks too, but all in all not too shabby.
#193885 - 2009-05-15 12:06 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: DStelz]
Administrator

I'll get used to it... no choice in another year or so, but if you want me to Love it then you need to let me setup the GUI like Windows 95 and I mean right down to every look and feel. You don't have to change what it does under the covers, but for me the GUI is annoying.

NT4 came out : No one liked it till they made GUI sort of like Win95
Windows 2000 : Could make it mostly like Win95
XP : Could make it mostly like Win95
Vista : Yech, could only make some things like Win95
Windows 7 : Yech, can make even less things like Win95

#193887 - 2009-05-15 01:17 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: NTDOC]
Gargoyle Offline
MM club member

Loc: Valley of the Sun (Arizona, US...
Come on now Doc, you know you would love to go back to the days 3.1 and the command line.

#193888 - 2009-05-15 01:57 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Gargoyle]
Administrator

I still do the command line on XP, Vista, and Windows 7.

I do actually miss Norton Desktop for Window 3.1 - never been as good a replacement since.

Sorry but all this Glass, preview Windows are no value for me. I know what I have open and how to get to it I don't need some CPU robbing glitzy candy to find my lost windows like a lot of users appear to need.

#193891 - 2009-05-15 07:31 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: NTDOC]
Gargoyle Offline
MM club member

Loc: Valley of the Sun (Arizona, US...
\:\) Ah the days of system commander.... Then again I geuss I am showing my age as well. What would some of these admins do now a days if they had to build multiple config.sys and autoexec.bat..

If you don't know what I am talking about. Well just be happy with your GUI.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Arend_, Allen, Jochen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 138 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
MaikSimon, kvn317, kixtarts2025, SERoyalty, mytar
17872 Registered Users

Generated in 0.091 seconds in which 0.04 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org