Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#193892 - 2009-05-15 10:47 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Gargoyle]
Richard H. Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: Leatherhead, Surrey, UK
For those of you trying Windows 7 Beta who don't already know:
 Quote:
You'll be pleased to know that the Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) is available until June 2009. This means that, if you already have the Windows 7 Beta, you have up until 1 July 2009 to rebuild your PC with either the Windows 7 RC or another valid version of Windows. You will receive a reminder two weeks before 1 July. After this date, your PC will reboot every two hours.

#194002 - 2009-05-25 04:57 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: NTDOC]
Jack Lothian Offline
MM club member

Loc: Ottawa,Ontario, Canada
Doc,

Funny you should say that, I was recently talking with a friend about 3.1, Norton desktop & old versions of Excel & Word. In some ways, I think things have gone backwards since then. Some very non-teckie people where doing great things on PCs back then - even secretaries were producing word, wordperfect, excel & lotus macros. The great thing about those early versions is they continually empowered users & challenged them to do really surprising things.

Starting with NT, things changed. It became all about empowering admins & programmers, sometimes to the detriment of users. Today for most users, a computer has become a fancy typewriter & web browser. For a short period, it was much more than that. I find that PC networks are becoming more mainframe like all the time. All those mainframe encumbrances that frustrated us & we were overjoyed when they were eliminated are coming back. Being a long-term mainframe programmer, I kind of expected this because I knew these constraints were important but I hoped for something different.

Those old systems even ran faster on those ancient machines. Every version of Windows seems to demand an order of magnitude increase in hardware & yet still runs slower than the last version. You run like crazy but you keep moving backwards. For me, the truth is that other than web stuff, my core usage of Windows/Office has not really changed in maybe 15 years or more.

PS: I loved Norton Desktop, I am not sure but didn’t Win95 have a Norton Desktop version too. I seem to remember buying it.

PS2: Not everything has moved backwards. For maybe 25 years or more, I have been a big time SAS user & every time a new version comes out I can not wait for the upgrade because every upgrade so far has empowered me more than the previous version. I even find myself cannibalizing mainframe SAS code that I wrote 20 years ago for my current projects. Does anything MS has produced meet this standard? (Maybe KixTart meets this standard of continuing improving empowerment).

#194105 - 2009-06-03 07:10 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Allen]
ashgray2 Offline
Just in Town

Loc: US
Is is OK to install a virtual machine software in my windows XP system, then
I'll install the Windows 7 on this virtual machine.
I would like to test this new operating system.
I would like to see if it is capable/ and features.

#194108 - 2009-06-03 07:22 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: ashgray2]
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
Yes, that should work just fine.
#194118 - 2009-06-04 02:23 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: NTDOC]
Allen Administrator Online   shocked
KiX Supporter

Loc: USA
Aside from the taskbar, and the beta WMP, I think Win 7 is a winner. I have not tested in a Corp environment, but for home use, this RC is SOLID. They have announced Oct 22nd as the release date, and I hear they will be soon announcing free upgrades to it with new PC Purchases.
#194119 - 2009-06-04 04:39 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Allen]
JNK Offline
Fresh Scripter

Back to my original question: When will Kix be able to tell the difference between a Vista box and a W7 box (the @ProductType macro).

By the by, I have been running W7 since the first beta --- seems to be pretty solid and I have only had a few speed bumps along the way. I am this close (| |) to whacking my production box (currently XP) and using W7 for production. I suppose that is to be expected from an R2 product from M$ though (Windows 7 is Vista R2, IMO, but I digress).

For those working in the Enterprise, M$ has spent quite a bit of time and effort tweaking the Deployment Tools ... WDS, WAIK, ImageX and related technologies are actually starting to look like mature products (*gasp* -- I can't believe I just said that) and the new DISM is so easy, even I (a Caveman) can use it. They do have a bit of work to do on their documentation (who doesn't), as getting a totally silent W7 install was a pain in the @$$. Setup and configuration of the server itself was a breeze, but those stupid XML answer files ---- EEAK! Thanks to Google and a bunch of folks who are doing the leg work for others, I am happy to report some good results. I am even considering abandoning Ghost as my deployment method and use M$ technologies instead (omg, there I go again!). I must really need to get some sleep!

#194120 - 2009-06-04 05:35 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: JNK]
KiX Supporter

We are at the mercy of Ruud (the author of Kixtart). He was around about 6 months ago, talking up a new release, and as far as I know, we have not heard boo since. Best thing to do is put your request in the Suggestions forum.
#195387 - 2009-08-11 10:48 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Allen]
Radimus Moderator Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I'm running the enterprise release now on a few laptops and it seems quite nice but some of the KIX related issues I have noted:

@productype = vista (known issue)
logon scripts run elevated, but regular ones don't
kix2exe support for kixforms doesn't work, have to install kixforms prior

all in all, I like Win7, but it is starting to point out the age of kix+forms... It seems like I am going to have to learn a real language now \:\(

What are people programming in now for logon scripts and admin tools? Powershell and VB?

#195389 - 2009-08-12 05:53 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Radimus]
Gargoyle Offline
MM club member

Loc: Valley of the Sun (Arizona, US...
Logon scripts we use only KiX for the minor things such as drive mappings. We attempt to do everything logon wise via GPO.

As for Admin - Powershell, Currently converting our helpdesk "User Account Manager" from KiX+Forms to PS+Forms. On occasion we are even using KiX via the Com object.

#195410 - 2009-08-14 04:32 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Gargoyle]

I'm looking at adminscripteditor since it seems very flexible in making all the forms for whatever language is thrown at it...

It will at least do the basics of vbs, ps and kix... and package to exe as a built in.

Hopefully it will at least take some of the pain out of learning PS

#195411 - 2009-08-14 05:36 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Radimus]
Gargoyle Offline
MM club member

Loc: Valley of the Sun (Arizona, US...
Primal has their "community" editor for PS and it does a very good job on the Forms as well as Quest Software for the PS editor.

#195427 - 2009-08-14 08:11 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Gargoyle]
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
Admin Script Editor is a nice little tool - I bought a copy last year. Not sure how well they're doing though as like KiXtart has slowed down, they too seem to have slowed down and I don't see Steve online all the time like I used to.

SAPIEN TECHNOLOGIES, INC. (Primal Script) has a lot of advanced tools, but I've not tested their product in probably at least 3 or 4 years.

Link for Pricing: Primal Scripting
Primal Script 2009: $299.00
Primal Forms 2009: $89.00
PrimalScript 2009 Studio $539.00
PrimalScript 2009 Universal $1,000
PrimalScript 2009 Studio is a bundle of all of our current software applications. This includes:

* PrimalScript
* PrimalScope
* ChangeVue
* PrimalXML
* PrimalSQL
* PrimalMerge
* PrimalPackager (when released)

UltraEdit is also a great editor, but judging from what is shown on each Website it would seem that Primal has more to offer in the area of Forms and PowerShell stuff, but that's only based on reading their Website and not actually using their tools.

Community Tools

We're making these tools available for free to the scripting community. While many are designed specifically for VBScript or ASP, the ones implemented as COM components will work with any COM-compatible language, including JScript, KiXtart, VBScript, and so forth. Instructions for using each is included in a separate PDF file, linked below.

We're granting you a free, non-exclusive license to use these tools. However, these tools are not public domain. You should read our Community Tools Universal License Agreement, since by using these tools, you're agreeing to the terms of that License Agreement.

"Best effort" technical support for these tools is provided in SAPIEN's Support Forums. Note that you must have a free MySapien account to access the forums.

http://www.primaltools.com/downloads/communitytools/

#195428 - 2009-08-14 09:43 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: NTDOC]

kix and kf seem to be drying up and going away, at least as far as general use goes. Although, there seem to be a stubborn group that refuses to get current, but...

#195468 - 2009-08-19 11:48 PM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Radimus]
KiX Supporter

For you guys looking for the classic menus... someone figured it out...

Get the Classic Start Menu in Windows 7 using CSMenu and StartKiller:
http://win7vista.com/index.php?PHPSESSID...g38275#msg38275

#195470 - 2009-08-20 09:11 AM Re: Testing Windows 7 Beta [Re: Allen]
Arend_ Moderator Offline
MM club member

Loc: Hilversum, The Netherlands
Classic Start Menu Guide
Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Arend_, Allen, Jochen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Allen) and 457 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
MaikSimon, kvn317, kixtarts2025, SERoyalty, mytar
17872 Registered Users

Generated in 0.069 seconds in which 0.025 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org