Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#115681 - 2004-03-08 06:08 PM Windows XP Login
hanke Offline
Fresh Scripter

I have looked and posted this before but I still haven't found the right solution to Windows XP pulling down login scripts? I looked for a way to disable quick login and changing the way the script was called (%/..). Any ideas?
#115682 - 2004-03-08 06:35 PM Re: Windows XP Login
NTDOC Administrator Offline
Administrator

Loc: CA
Don't use a batch file.

WKIX32.EXE LOGON.KIX (or what ever your logon script name is)

You answered your own question though over here
http://www.kixtart.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=45892

Quote:

If I click on the batch script from the netlogon it works perfect but at login it will pull the script down to the client about half the time.

See that part about half the time That would indicate to me that possibly either the client is caching logon or the Domain Controllers are NOT replicating as you think. This appears to be a network/client issue rather then a KiXtart issue.

If it were a KiXtart issue it would NEVER run the logon script. So I think your answer is there, you just need to dig into it a little further and do some debugging to determine what is really causing the issue.

I'm sure we can help you get it going, but you have to be less cryptic in your replies.

There is no need to start a new post, replying in your other thread will place it at the top of the list of new posts for the day and other will have a better track of what has already been suggested to look at.

I.E. Please post full details of the issue (Server/Client versions of OS, KiXtart versions, Single/Multiple Domain, Do you have Domain Admin rights, NT/AD etc...

#115683 - 2004-03-08 09:15 PM Re: Windows XP Login
Howard Bullock Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Harrisburg, PA USA
See KB304970.

Are you using Cisco switches in your environment? If you are running Cisco switches and have verified that the "Always wait for network at computer startup and logon" is enabled in the policy registry setting, please try enabling "Port Fast" fast switching (related to spanning tree algorithm) on the Cisco switches. This should resolve the issue of your users not getting their logon scripts.

#115684 - 2004-03-09 06:36 PM Re: Windows XP Login
hanke Offline
Fresh Scripter

I am using Cisco 4006 switches and spanning tree portfast in enabled on all ports. The group policy setting to wait for a network connection is under "Local Computer/Administrator templates/system/logon" right? I have enabled that setting on the XP machine but still have the problem of the login script not working. If I log out and log in the login script works fine. Any other settings maybe?
#115685 - 2004-03-09 07:33 PM Re: Windows XP Login
Les Offline
KiX Master

Loc: fortfrances.on.ca
You could have a corrupted GPO. Are you sure the GPO even loads? Try setting something in the GPO that would be visible and see if it is in fact working. You may have some network configuration issues that prevent GPOs from working.

#115686 - 2004-03-09 07:38 PM Re: Windows XP Login
hanke Offline
Fresh Scripter

I setup a local machine policy (NT domain), and other items in the local policy create changes. I have the latest NIC driver and there are no errors on the port. I am able to ping and resolve names on the domain. I am thinking there is a setting in XP because all our XP machines (30) have the same problem.
#115687 - 2004-03-09 08:18 PM Re: Windows XP Login
hanke Offline
Fresh Scripter

I am not putting down Kixtart. I think Kixtart is a great product and it works fine for all my 95, 98, NT, and 2000. I just don't have something set right in XP.
#115688 - 2004-03-09 08:57 PM Re: Windows XP Login
Kdyer Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Tigard, OR
Did you get a chance to look at this article - It is a known issue with XP?

A Logon Script Does Not Work If %0 or %0\..\ Calls Multiple Commands

Kent

#115689 - 2004-03-09 09:15 PM Re: Windows XP Login
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Which is also explained in the FAQ Forum under Use of %0\..\ to launch KiX

#115690 - 2004-03-09 10:27 PM Re: Windows XP Login
hanke Offline
Fresh Scripter

I removed the batch script and just put "wkix32.exe kix.kix" in the profile of the user on the domain controller. It works if I give the script time before I log in. I have KIX 4.11 do I need to update my serves & clients? Is this a registry key or a local policy to disable caching on XP? If possible I would rather fix a few machines vs. changing the script for 1000 users. If there is not a at this time I understand.

Edited by hanke (2004-03-09 10:28 PM)

#115691 - 2004-03-09 10:31 PM Re: Windows XP Login
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

And yet again, we're pointing you to the FAQ Forum: Windows XP Professional Fast Logon Optimization

#115692 - 2004-03-10 10:55 PM Re: Windows XP Login
hanke Offline
Fresh Scripter

Quote:

And yet again,
Quote:

I am telling you that solution does not fix the problem. Is there another settings perhaps? Let me type everything:

Server: NT 4.0 Domain SP 6a, all files are replicating between domain controllers, WINS & DNS are working, no errors on ports or NIC cards.

Client: Windows XP SP1a, script runs if user waits to login (CAD) or clicked on in Netlogon directory after, have the script set to run in profile (under user in domain), no batch files used to run script, no errors on switch port or NIC card, have problem only in XP (95, 98, NT, 2000 work fine), have always had problem with XP, changed local policy settings to Enable & disable in "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" doesn't fix problem.

If there is not a known fix or if you have no idea what I am talking about let me know and I will stop wasting your time. I understand that some may be upset with Microsoft for changing the way in which Windows boots, but over time products change and other products that work with the changed product adapt. The window for posting messages should be larger. If you need more information about my situation let me know and I will do my best to supply whatever it may be.

#115693 - 2004-03-11 06:06 AM Re: Windows XP Login
Lonkero Administrator Offline
KiX Master Guru

Loc: OK
wonder from whom you did quote that
and the window size is fully customizable in your profile.

and no, network arcitechture shouldn't adapt and change totally just because windows keeps changing.
w2k already introduces such buggies (with autoIP) with not disabling what perfectly told in settings it to disable.
XP goes yet one more step on the not working road.

but, everything that microsoft can't or don't want to fix themselfes, we ppl surely can.
finding the solutions just may take longer as it requires reverse-engineering.

download KiXnet

#115694 - 2004-03-11 01:43 PM Re: Windows XP Login
Howard Bullock Offline
KiX Supporter

Loc: Harrisburg, PA USA
We also had problems with XP. It required 2 policy/registry changes and the "Port Fast" cisco change as mentioned above.

Running Logon Scripts Asynchronously

If you are familiar with logon scripts, then you may have experience in dealing with the problems caused when the shell portion of Windows 2000 starts before the logon script completes. This is usually a function more of the design of the logon script than a specific problem with Windows 2000. You can use the Registry to be sure that Windows 2000 does not start the user interface portion of the operating system until the logon script completes. To set this behavior, change the value of this entry to 1.

Root Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Entry: RunLogonScriptSync
Data Type: REG_DWORD

The other was what you mentioned above. After all three were in place XP performed as expected. If you are setting these via policy then you must confirm that the policy is received by the computer and is active.

#115695 - 2004-03-11 02:18 PM Re: Windows XP Login
Kdyer Offline
KiX Supporter

hanke,

Have a look at this - Problems with XP running Slogic

While it reads ScriptLogic, it is appropriate to this thread.

Kent

#115696 - 2004-03-11 03:48 PM Re: Windows XP Login
Sealeopard Offline
KiX Master

We already pointed out this particular FAQ and other XP-related FAQs to him.

#115697 - 2004-03-11 05:04 PM Re: Windows XP Login
hanke Offline
Fresh Scripter

I have changed my policy settings to
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon (Enable)

&

Run startup scripts asynchronously (Enabled)

This changes the registry keys to DWORD =1 in all registry locations. I do see that XP is trying to wait for a network connection but if I login right away it doesn't run the scirpt. I have done some time tests with the policy in place and found that right around 47-48 seconds of waiting at Ctrl-Alt-Del the script pulls down fine. Anything under that time I don't get the scripts. If the user is new to this computer and a profile needs to be created the time doesn't matter and the script will always work. I think it is using a cached login and I am hoping there is a policy setting to disable that "feature".

#115698 - 2004-03-11 05:26 PM Re: Windows XP Login
Kdyer Offline
KiX Supporter

Have you tried flushing your token cache in KiXtart?

KIX32.EXE YOURSCRIPT.KIX /f

Kent

#115699 - 2004-03-11 05:27 PM Re: Windows XP Login
Kdyer Offline
KiX Supporter

Jens,

That is correct. However, it is a "distilled" verison of what may need to happen.

Kent

#115700 - 2004-03-11 05:46 PM Re: Windows XP Login
hanke Offline
Fresh Scripter

I don't have 4.20 Kixtart I have 4.11 on all servers and clients, is that feature in 4.11?
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Jochen, Allen, Radimus, Glenn Barnas, ShaneEP, Ruud van Velsen, Arend_, Mart 
Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 327 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Jojo67, MaikSimon, kvn317, kixtarts2025, SERoyalty
17873 Registered Users

Generated in 0.073 seconds in which 0.024 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Search the board with:
superb Board Search
or try with google:
Google
Web kixtart.org